Re-try mechanism to connect to cloud DB

Six Stars

Re-try mechanism to connect to cloud DB

Hello,

Since I am connecting to cloud hosted MSSQL, transient failures is expected. 

Please let me know how I can retry connection to DB/run a sql query on DB after 30 secs for max 10 times and re-connect to DB ?

Is there a simple way to achieve this (like a change in parameter) ?

Thanks and Regards,

Arun

Employee

Re: Re-try mechanism to connect to cloud DB

Hi,

While this can be achieved in Talend by using OnSubJobError option with a falg value and looping mechanism, it is not the right approach to handle the issue. Following are the reasons for not doing this approach.

a) The situation proves that current architecture is not scalable beyond a point when traffic increases. Each transaction may result upto 10 times more traffic in intermediate layer

b) The current network capacity seems to be strained and it needs to be looked urgently

c) If you are using AWS or any cloud based solutions, make sure you are using right sized DB.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved :-)

Six Stars

Hi Nikhil,

Could you please elaborate "OnSubJobError option with a falg value and looping mechanism" with a small example ?

I will discuss internally on other options.

Thanks,

Arun

Employee

Hi Arun,

You can use tLoop to perform the required number of loops. In the condition of tLoop, you can add multiple conditions to verify whether the flag value is Y or N.

Now if the OnComponentError needs to be added to DB Output component and add a tJava to it. Inside tjava, assign the value of flag as Y. This means that only in the case of Component Error, it will go to tjava and change the value to Y.

Again, I would like to stress the fact that this is not an ideal approach for solution even though technically it will work. 

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved :-)

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables

Blog

How Media Organizations Achieved Success with Data Integration

Learn how media organizations have achieved success with Data Integration

Read

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Watch