One Star

Problem with Excel File - Set Header as Column name

Hi everyone,
Firstly, I would like to say hello. I am new to the forums and new to Talend.
I have been encountering a problem, and I am unsure if something is wrong or if I have missed a step.
When creating an excel file as metadata in the Repository, I reach step 3 and set my desired heading row as column names. Everything is fine at this point (see first image).
However, when I click next, the column names do not automatically carry over! (second image)
Does anyone know what the problem is?
8 REPLIES
One Star

Re: Problem with Excel File - Set Header as Column name

I have solved the problem. It had to do with the excel formatting, some headings had abnormal characters and new lines due to VB coding.
One Star

Hi,
I also got the same problem while creating a delimited file, can you help me with this as you have solve the problem??.
Thank a lot
One Star

Hi,
I also got the same problem while creating a delimited file, can you help me with this as you have solve the problem??.
Thank a lot

If your problem is the same as the one I encountered, the problem is with your Delimited File input and not Talend. You likely have characters that Talend does not accept in its column header names (things like spaces and line breaks are not allowed). Try opening your delimited file, changing the header names to simple short forms and use underscores ("_") instead of spaces between words. Then try putting your delimited file back into metadata.
This is what solved my problem. For example, one of my headers was "Panel (/n) No. (/n) Cutter" (where the /n signifies a new line) and to make it compatible with Talend formatting I changed it to "Pnl_Num_Cut". I hope this helps!
One Star

yes, got it!!
you are right, it was the problem with the input i was supplying to the delimit file.
Actually i was suppyling a csv file in which the column names were inside double quotes ("asdf").
and that is what creating the problem as delimited was not accepting the field which are in double quotes.
And you do not realise this because when you open the csv file in ms-excel it does show the fields in double quotes. but when you open this file in other editer like notepad there you realise that those fields are in double quotes.
Thanks a lot for your help!!
Anshul
One Star

I am glad I helped solve your problem. I have received lots of helpful advice on this forum and it is nice to give back when I can.
Regards,
Matt
One Star

Hi,
One more problem i am facing, can you help me with it??
i have a tAdvancedOutputXML file and i have a xml schema defined.
I am able to add linker for all the subelement who don't have their child subelement or child attributes but not able to add linker for the subelements who have child attributes or subelements.
i need to add linker for those subelement with attributes too.
help me with this....
thanx a lot!!
Anshul
One Star

Hi Anshul,
I don't think I can help you with this. I would recommend that first (if you haven't already) you do a thorough search of the forums (I can solve most of my Talend problems this way).
If that doesn't help, join the forum! Create a username and password, then post this question in a new topic. Be sure to use a subject title that gives a good description of your problem, and post screenshots of your project and the problem you face. The Talend team that monitors this forum provides exceptional service and I usually get a response within a day.
Good Luck!
Community Manager

Hello Anshul
As cymat_mc recommended, you need to register a account and become a forum member (only members has right of uploading pictures) , then upload a screenshot to describe your problem, there are many talend developers monitor this forum and I or other colleagues will give you a response asap.
Let's go ahead...
Best regards
shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business