Prepared statement with null values in a tOracleRow

Six Stars

Prepared statement with null values in a tOracleRow

I was tOracleRow to execute a SQL update in a prepared statement and I found that the entire job will hang after a small number of rows if there's a null value for any of the columns. There's no output, even if you pass the rows through a tLogRow first. You do get output like this after you kill the job:

nullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnullnull
[ERROR]: talend_proj.orbcadtimingdwconsumer_0_1.OrbCadTimingDwConsumer - tOracleRow_1 - null
[ERROR]: talend_proj.orbcadtimingdwconsumer_0_1.OrbCadTimingDwConsumer - tOracleRow_1 - null
(repeated a bunch more times)

I've resolved this by filtering out the null values and sending them off to a different tOracleRow with the null column omitted, but this is only reasonable if you have a single column that can be null.

Also, even if it is expected that tOracleRow should not bind null parameters to a prepared statement, it should fail more gracefully and explicitly. The current behavior cost me several hours of head-scratching.

Re: Prepared statement with null values in a tOracleRow

Hello,

Have you already  tried to mark your input schema as "nullable" in your schema setting?

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Six Stars

Re: Prepared statement with null values in a tOracleRow

Yep:

nullableForeignKey.PNG

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Definitive Guide to Data Quality

Create systems and workflow to manage clean data ingestion and data transformation.