Periodic execution of jobs and passing of parameters

One Star

Periodic execution of jobs and passing of parameters

Hi all.
My company is developing an ETL solution, and we are looking into Talend as our main ETL product.
I have a few questions about what is possible to do in Talend, and how.
We have already developed some prototype jobs (MySQL production database to an Oracle 9i data warehouse)
What we would need to be able to do:
* Create "stand alone" packages for these jobs, and launch them periodically (once a day)
* Be able to pass parameters to these jobs (Typically, the reason for the launch of the job, and the date of execution)
Ideally, if the job is launched manually, the user would have to enter data (the reason of the job). If the job is launch without user operation (automatically once a day), a default value would be used.
Our restrictions:
* As of now, we use Talend as testing only; so we must use Talend Open Studio, with its limitations.
Because of the limitations of Talend Open Studio, we realize we may have to develop our own application to launch the job, and pass parameters to it. That's fine, as long as we have some info on how to do it.
Thank you all, and thanks for developing and maintaining such a useful tool.
Louis.
Edit: i forgot to mention our prototype jobs are in Java
One Star

Re: Periodic execution of jobs and passing of parameters

Someday, I might publish the GUI job launcher I developped.
So yes, it's very possible, I would suggest to base your solution on the .item file which is an xml description of the job context included.
I also tried this scheduler (with webinterface), and made a wrapper pretty easily to talend jobs :
http://www.sos-berlin.com/modules/cjaycontent/index.php?id=62&page=osource_scheduler_introduction_en...
Seventeen Stars

hi all,
Have a look on those topics about manage job scheduler ( those answered by Volker Brehm) ...
++
you can also have a look at TIS Smiley Happy
One Star

Please use the scheduler comes along with the OS like windows schduler or open sourse/free schedulers like "Solway's Task Scheduler". The "Solway's Task Scheduler" is good and I have used that.
Thanks and Regards,
Pravu Mishra.
One Star

Thanks for all the replies. For the moment I'll stick with the windows scheduler, using an intermediary java program to pass parameters (via a text file, most likely).
Thanks again.
Simonlourson
Employee

Your request looks a lot like "job conductor", available in Talend Integration Suite, the charged subscription product from Talend. You can contact sales@talend.com for details.
One Star

Hi,
I am also looking for an answer to
* Be able to pass parameters to these jobs
Can someone point me to where that's described?
essentially, I'm trying to do something very simple: scan a directory and call a job when a file arrives in it. The filename will be different every time, so I'd like to use tWaitForFile to get the filename and pass it to the job that processes it.
Many thanks in advance,
Mihai
One Star

Nevermind -- found an image in an unrelated topic that fixed me.
Very easy if you know how!
One Star

Mihai: Please share Smiley Happy
One Star

I am looking to supply parameters to the jobs. Any help will be great. Mihai seems to have found the solution but would not like to share.