Oracle Database Connection Problem

One Star

Oracle Database Connection Problem

Hello Colleagues,
I have a problem with connections to databases (ORACLE and AS/400/DB2 same behaviour).
I am on TOS 5.6.2. I create a DB Connection for ORACLE with SID as example. Press the check button leads to this error message:
Connection failure, check the database settings or contact your database administrator.
  java.lang.RuntimeException: java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:164)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataUtils.connect(ExtractMetaDataUtils.java:1078)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.testConnection(ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.java:313)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.utils.ManagerConnection.check(ManagerConnection.java:352)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.utils.ManagerConnection.check(ManagerConnection.java:301)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.table.database.SelectorTableForm$8.run(SelectorTableForm.java:1099)
      at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)
  Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection
      at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:134)
      at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:179)
      at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:334)
      at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.handleIOException(TTC7Protocol.java:3668)
      at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.logon(TTC7Protocol.java:353)
      at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:371)
      at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.getConnectionInstance(OracleDriver.java:551)
      at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:351)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.DriverShim.connect(DriverShim.java:41)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:155)
      ... 6 more
No the weird thing is going on. Using the connection in a job works. I can connect to DB and request data by SQL. This works.
Technically I have checked everything I could imagine. Connection with same parameters in Squirrel works fine. Connection to IP/Port with telnet works fine.
Any idea what could be the problem and how I can fix this?
Many thanks
Roman

Re: Oracle Database Connection Problem

Hi rbecker,
What's your JDK version?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

I have the same problem on a fresh install of TOS 5.6.2 (Win 7 64Bit with JDK 1.7 and 1.8 with JAVA_HOME set to 1.7)

Hi kleinmat,
What is your Oracle version ?
In the Database wizard, did you choose the correct version for your oracle database? Do you have no trouble to connect to your Oracle with your Oracle client?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Hi, I use Oracle 11.2.0 Enterprise Edition.
And when I go to Metadata -> Database connection -> New connection, I did use the correct Oracle Version (version 11). I also tried with 12 but that has the same effect.
When I use my Oracle SQLDeveloper, I have no problem accessing the Oracle DB whatsoever. 
After reading rbeckers post, I tried this:
Since I was not able to create a DB connection in the metadata section, I simply created a Job with just 2 components: an Oracle connection and an Oracle disconnedt. I used the exact same parameters I used in the metadata section - and when I ran the job, it said in the Log that it connected and then disconnected.
So I assume that this is a bug. Consequently, I have created Ticket#: 2015052910000275 but no solution has been provided yet.
Thanks
Matt

Hi,
Are you using SID or service name? Does this issue repro on your other talend studios?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Hi,
I used SID. I also used SID when I created the job I described or when configuring SQLDeveloper.
Unfortunately, I can't answer your other question because I have removed my other studios (version 5.4) from my drive - but if I recall correctly, it used to work with that.
But here are some differences that might help cause the problem:
1. When I worked with the Studio in version 5.4, I only had JDK 1.7 installed on my machine. Now I have both 1.7 and 1.8 (as SQL Developer requires 1.8). JAVA_HOME is still set to 1.7 and the path only contains 1.7 (otherwise TOS won't start)
2. When I used 5.4, I think I manually installed the driver - but I am not sure...
3. When I used 5.4, I used a different Oracle installation. The one I use now sits on a VMWare VM (VMWare Workstation 11) with Debian and is connected to my Laptop via "Host Only" connection - so basically, my Laptop now has 2 NIC's: one going to my LAN and the other one being used by that internal VMWare-based network to communicate with the VM.
Not sure if that could make a difference - but that's what I see that has changed.
Matt

Hi Matt,
Could you please type "java -version" in cmd to see if your java environment is correct?(JDK 1.7)
In addition, make sure the DB listener is running or is not binding to a different network interface. TELNET is Ok?
Best regards
Sabrina

--
One Star

Hi,
I did that before, too, and of course it returned Java 1.7
When I telnet, I don't get characters back but also no error message or connection timeout. Besides, my SQLDeveloper connects with the DB without issues when I use the exact same settings as I used in the Talend Metadata section. Also, the Job I created said that the connection worked. Everything works - just not the Metadata-Section in the Talend Studio.
Matt

Hi Matt,
Would you mind uploading your DB metadata setting screenshot into forum?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Sure

Hi Sir/Madam,
i am also facing the same oracle connection issue using Metadata. by using tOracleConnection under Palette the connection is establishing successfully but only by Repository -> Metadata the oracle is not connecting.
please do the needful.
thank you,
sravan kumar

Hi sravan kumar,
What is your Oracle version ?
In the Database wizard, did you choose the correct version for your oracle database ?
Did you try to connect oracle with sid?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Was this ever resolved?  It looks like it's still an open issue, which is disappointing because I'm having the same problem.  I am able to connect to an Oracle database through the tOracleComponent, but using the same parameters in a DB Connection with either Oracle SID or Oracle service name results in a connection failure.  It was the same error as described in the first post.
For the record, I am using Java 1.8 which is required for Talend for Data Integration version 6.1.1. 

Hi,
Actually, we cannot repro this issue on our side.
Have you checked the article about:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15461866/error-in-connecting-oracle-11g-in-localhost-using-jdbc?
Are you using oracle 11?
Best regards
Sabrina
--