Oracle Database Connection Problem

One Star

Oracle Database Connection Problem

Hello Colleagues,
I have a problem with connections to databases (ORACLE and AS/400/DB2 same behaviour).
I am on TOS 5.6.2. I create a DB Connection for ORACLE with SID as example. Press the check button leads to this error message:
Connection failure, check the database settings or contact your database administrator.
  java.lang.RuntimeException: java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:164)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataUtils.connect(ExtractMetaDataUtils.java:1078)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.testConnection(ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.java:313)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.utils.ManagerConnection.check(ManagerConnection.java:352)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.utils.ManagerConnection.check(ManagerConnection.java:301)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.table.database.SelectorTableForm$8.run(SelectorTableForm.java:1099)
      at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)
  Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection
      at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:134)
      at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:179)
      at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:334)
      at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.handleIOException(TTC7Protocol.java:3668)
      at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.logon(TTC7Protocol.java:353)
      at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(OracleConnection.java:371)
      at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.getConnectionInstance(OracleDriver.java:551)
      at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:351)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.DriverShim.connect(DriverShim.java:41)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:155)
      ... 6 more
No the weird thing is going on. Using the connection in a job works. I can connect to DB and request data by SQL. This works.
Technically I have checked everything I could imagine. Connection with same parameters in Squirrel works fine. Connection to IP/Port with telnet works fine.
Any idea what could be the problem and how I can fix this?
Many thanks
Roman

Re: Oracle Database Connection Problem

Hi rbecker,
What's your JDK version?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

I have the same problem on a fresh install of TOS 5.6.2 (Win 7 64Bit with JDK 1.7 and 1.8 with JAVA_HOME set to 1.7)

Hi kleinmat,
What is your Oracle version ?
In the Database wizard, did you choose the correct version for your oracle database? Do you have no trouble to connect to your Oracle with your Oracle client?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Hi, I use Oracle 11.2.0 Enterprise Edition.
And when I go to Metadata -> Database connection -> New connection, I did use the correct Oracle Version (version 11). I also tried with 12 but that has the same effect.
When I use my Oracle SQLDeveloper, I have no problem accessing the Oracle DB whatsoever. 
After reading rbeckers post, I tried this:
Since I was not able to create a DB connection in the metadata section, I simply created a Job with just 2 components: an Oracle connection and an Oracle disconnedt. I used the exact same parameters I used in the metadata section - and when I ran the job, it said in the Log that it connected and then disconnected.
So I assume that this is a bug. Consequently, I have created Ticket#: 2015052910000275 but no solution has been provided yet.
Thanks
Matt

Hi,
Are you using SID or service name? Does this issue repro on your other talend studios?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Hi,
I used SID. I also used SID when I created the job I described or when configuring SQLDeveloper.
Unfortunately, I can't answer your other question because I have removed my other studios (version 5.4) from my drive - but if I recall correctly, it used to work with that.
But here are some differences that might help cause the problem:
1. When I worked with the Studio in version 5.4, I only had JDK 1.7 installed on my machine. Now I have both 1.7 and 1.8 (as SQL Developer requires 1.8). JAVA_HOME is still set to 1.7 and the path only contains 1.7 (otherwise TOS won't start)
2. When I used 5.4, I think I manually installed the driver - but I am not sure...
3. When I used 5.4, I used a different Oracle installation. The one I use now sits on a VMWare VM (VMWare Workstation 11) with Debian and is connected to my Laptop via "Host Only" connection - so basically, my Laptop now has 2 NIC's: one going to my LAN and the other one being used by that internal VMWare-based network to communicate with the VM.
Not sure if that could make a difference - but that's what I see that has changed.
Matt

Hi Matt,
Could you please type "java -version" in cmd to see if your java environment is correct?(JDK 1.7)
In addition, make sure the DB listener is running or is not binding to a different network interface. TELNET is Ok?
Best regards
Sabrina

--
One Star

Hi,
I did that before, too, and of course it returned Java 1.7
When I telnet, I don't get characters back but also no error message or connection timeout. Besides, my SQLDeveloper connects with the DB without issues when I use the exact same settings as I used in the Talend Metadata section. Also, the Job I created said that the connection worked. Everything works - just not the Metadata-Section in the Talend Studio.
Matt

Hi Matt,
Would you mind uploading your DB metadata setting screenshot into forum?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Sure

Hi Sir/Madam,
i am also facing the same oracle connection issue using Metadata. by using tOracleConnection under Palette the connection is establishing successfully but only by Repository -> Metadata the oracle is not connecting.
please do the needful.
thank you,
sravan kumar

Hi sravan kumar,
What is your Oracle version ?
In the Database wizard, did you choose the correct version for your oracle database ?
Did you try to connect oracle with sid?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Was this ever resolved?  It looks like it's still an open issue, which is disappointing because I'm having the same problem.  I am able to connect to an Oracle database through the tOracleComponent, but using the same parameters in a DB Connection with either Oracle SID or Oracle service name results in a connection failure.  It was the same error as described in the first post.
For the record, I am using Java 1.8 which is required for Talend for Data Integration version 6.1.1. 

Hi,
Actually, we cannot repro this issue on our side.
Have you checked the article about:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15461866/error-in-connecting-oracle-11g-in-localhost-using-jdbc?
Are you using oracle 11?
Best regards
Sabrina
--

Calling Talend Open Studio Users

The first 100 community members completing the Open Studio survey win a $10 gift voucher.

Start the survey

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables

Blog

How Media Organizations Achieved Success with Data Integration

Learn how media organizations have achieved success with Data Integration

Read

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Download