OR operator across joins

One Star

OR operator across joins

My query is something like this:-
I need to perform this join only if any of the a,b,c,d values are NULL in table t1.
And if they are null , i do a lookup for them in table t2.
Select a,b,c,d from table t1,table t2 where t1.a=t2.a OR t1.b=t2.b AND t1.c=t2.c OR t1.d=t2.d.
I perform this query using a tMap .
How can i do this in my expression builder. Is it possible to have OR operator across joins being made for various columns?
Community Manager

Re: OR operator across joins

Hello
How can i do this in my expression builder. Is it possible to have OR operator across joins being made for various columns?

In expression builder of tMap, try '||' for or operator, '&&' for and operator. for example:
(row1.a==row2.a||row1.b==row2.b)&&(row1.c==row2.c||row1.d==row2.d)

Best regards
shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Thanks Shong ....
The table t2 , which is being used to do a lookup just in case any value in table t1 is null.
Now this table t2 has some 8 millions rows. Talend first reads the entire table t2 ??? Which takes a lot of time.
I just want a lookup to happen , if after reading table t1 , it finds that any of the value is null(This condition is specified in the expression builder or row1).
Then , A join is being made between these two tables as suggested by you (in the expression builder of row2 (table t2))
And if a join is being made, the output table (say op1) has all the fields of row1 mapped to it , except fields a,b,c,d (any of which might be null , which invokes this join)
If none of the fields of table t1 is null, i don want any join to happen ....
here is how my job looks like:
One Star

Hi aviator,
hard to understand (for me). Can you please give a example (with data) and a screen shot of your tMap component.
Bye
Volker
One Star

Have attached my job and tmap .. however these images may be wrong, So please go through the pains of reading some explanation of what i wish to do . Thanks a ton for your help!

1. Read from t1 continously and aggregate data further.
However : If any field values from t1 is null , do a lookup from table t2 .
Where should i check if any of the values of columns coming from t1 are null .... As per the tmap shown , i did it in expression builder of row1.
Now , if any of values of t1 are null , i use my tmap to do lookup for those fields based on : (row1.trackAolId==row3.track_aol_id) or(row1. trackTitle==row3.track_title)) And ((row1.albumAolId==row3.album_aol_id)||(row1.albumTitle==row3.album_title)) and so on...
Where do i put this condition , i put it in row3's expression builder.

Does my job diagram fulfill my purpose.
The problem is , this job starts with reading all the rows of table t2 ...... and then reads t1 .. performs a join and so on....
I want this to be like : firsgt read t1 , everytime you encounter a null column value , do a lookup from table t2 and carry with the aggregation........
Is some kind of iteration also involved here ?
Can you gimme some ideas as to how my job can be designed to achieve all of this.
One Star

images
have cut the tmap into two images . could not paste together due to size constraints
One Star

any help to a newbie in Talend ?
One Star

Hi aviator,
my suggestion would be:
Because TOS does not support a back propagation of any values from the tMap to the lookup row I would use two steps.
first part:
tDBInput(t1) -> tFilterRow(check for missing fields) -> allFieldsOk -> tFileOutput(tempFile1)

-> fieldsNotOk -> tFlowToIterate -> tDBInput(dynamic SQL to read one row with missing data from table2) -> tMap (1::1-mapping output metadata like your hhh-connection, value set by input row for missing values or read from the globalMap for the primary row) -> tFileOutput(tempFile2)
second part:
tFileInput(tempFile1)
|--> tJoin -> your flow based on all completed values
tFileInput(tempFile2)
With this you avoid the prefetch of the data of table2
One Star

Ok Thanks !
Is this what u mean , have attached a image , please check it....
This does not help ... the job starts reading my mysqlinput_3 (a table of 8 million rows ) first .......
But i want this to be read only if some null values are encountered from input_1 and a rejected values are sent through the filter....

IDEAS ??? THOUGHTS???

Other option: (Just in case the above suggested does not work )
or can i write a routine , that takes as input the rows returned by t1 and checks for null fields, if any field is null-it just performs a lookup in the table t2 .........creates a temporary table and updates all the null fields after lookup from t2.... and then carries on the aggregation
One Star

any help ?
One Star

Hello aviator,
remove tMysqlInput_3. You don't need it in my example. Select your data from your "8-million-table" in tMysqlInput_2 with a dedicated sql. In the tMap you need only one input and one output.
Bye
Volker
One Star

Hi Volker,
Is this what u are saying(attached an image below.)
The problem is , my query for mysqlinput_2 would be something like this:
"select track_aol_id,track_title,track_number,album_aol_id,
album_title,artist_aol_id,artist_name from audio_main_song
where
track_title=row8.trackTitle OR track_aol_id=row8.trackAolId
AND
artist_name=row8.artistName OR artist_aol_id=row8.artistAolId
And
album_title=row8.albumTitle OR album_aol_id=row8.albumAolId limit 1"
Can i refer row8 fields here ??? (The rejected values) because i need to have them in my where clause while doing a lookup in my "8 million table"
I get a error when i do this----->
Exception in component tMysqlInput_2
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Unknown column 'row8.trackTitle' in 'where clause'
Also in my tmap : apart from the fields that i am getting from mysqlinput_2, i need row8's rejected fields also (not all of them are null)
Can i do that ??
Any inputs please ?
One Star

ok i got it .
Just using the globalMap.get() func to access the values!
Thanks a ton Volker Smiley Happy