Five Stars

NullPointerException when opening Routine from Referenced project

Running Talend Real-time Big Data Platform, 6.2.1.20161227_1431_patch

java.version=1.8.0_91
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US

I get the same behavior with java.version=1.8.0_131.

When trying to open a Code-->Routines component from a Referenced project Talend is throwing a java.lang.NullPointerException. The full error is:

"An error has occurred. See error log for more details.
java.lang.NullPointerException"

There's no more information and I don't see a new log file in Talend-Studio\studio\configuration, which is where I thought log files ended up.

Additionally, when trying to run a job that uses Routines from this Referenced project I get 

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem:
at routines.<method name>...

This Routine is used without problems in other projects.

Where can I find the log file referenced by the error message?

How can I get more information on the "Unresolved compilation problem"?

Thanks,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Five Stars

Re: NullPointerException when opening Routine from Referenced project

We figured out the "Unresolved compilation problem" error, there was a Routine in the current project that declared a class that was not named the same as the Routine's name. This was obscured because that class was also (correctly) defined in a Reference project.

We are still experiencing occasional NullPointerExceptions when opening the Referenced project's Routine - I will create a case on talend support for this issue.

4 REPLIES

Hi,

When you get some compile errors, please check your "Code" tab in your job. There will be your compile error highlighted in red line.

Is there any error message? You can go to Window > Show view > General > Error Log.

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Five Stars

Hi Sabrina,

1) There is no compile error highlighted on the "Code" tab. The compile error is referencing a Referenced project, which I see imported into the talend code.

2) Window > Show view > General > Error Log does not have any errors listed.

I found some references suggesting that this is an eclipse/maven issue:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1124788/java-unresolved-compilation-problem

I've tried both suggestions I found the above link: (a) mvn clean, which I think I accomplished by deleting my talend workspace, and (b) setting the "Treat above errors like fatal compile errors" option in Preferences -> Java -> Compiler -> Errors/Warnings.

I have no ideas about my other issue, which is that I usually cannot open the Routine from the Referenced project (I get a NullPointerException). I don't need to open the Routine, but the issues may be related.

Hi,

Could you please create a case on talend support portal so that we can give you a remote assistance(webex) through support cycle with priority?

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Five Stars

We figured out the "Unresolved compilation problem" error, there was a Routine in the current project that declared a class that was not named the same as the Routine's name. This was obscured because that class was also (correctly) defined in a Reference project.

We are still experiencing occasional NullPointerExceptions when opening the Referenced project's Routine - I will create a case on talend support for this issue.