Null int's causing For Input String " " error

One Star

Null int's causing For Input String " " error

Talend/Java newbie so I am sure this is a problem of basic understanding -- thanks in advance for your help.
I am just learning Talend so my first job is a basic one but causing me trouble.
- downloading Football schedule .csv file from the internet using tFileFetch: http://www.repole.com/sun4cast/stats/cfb2011lines.csv
- tFileInputDelimited (pic attached) using CFBMetadata file I created
- tFileOutputExcel output file
Couple of problems.
1) it appears that even though I am downloading the file using tFIleFetch tFileInputDelimited is just passing along the data in the metadata file I have defined not the .csv file I downloaded. I got this job structure from one of the tutorials so I thought it was right, but apparently not.
2) I am only getting 42 rows when I run the job because it is giving me an empty string or For Input String " " error on the rows that have an empty value in the incoming CSV file. There is obviously some issue with the columns that I have defined as int's and floats in the metadata being treated improperly, but I don't know how to accommodate for that. I have tried several expressions to catch these, but to no avail.
thanks for the help.

Re: Null int's causing For Input String " " error

Hi,ClintMc
Thanks for using The talend, from your description i got that you want to use 3 components to finish the flow of data
-tFileFetch
-tFileInputDelimited using CFBMetadata file
- tFileOutputExcel output file
First, for the compont -tFileFetch you can see the pic attachment i have add. there are some hint in the pic
Second, from the Repository, and find the metadata--Filedelimited. Right click and create a new file delimited. In the wizard, you can upload the file you have got by the -tFileFetch. the hint also have been marked in the following pic
Third,drag the metadata we have created before, (we called cfb2011lines) into the job designer and make a row1 with the tFileOutputExcel.
I'm afriad that you are newbie cannot catch me, so i provide the detailed pic to you to understand that. Hope it will help you.
BTW, for the issue of or Input String " " error , there must be something wrong in the schema. If you using CFBMetadata file , the schema should be set by default.

Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.

Hi,ClintMc
Sorry for the failture of uploading pic, the size is overload.....i change it again. it works well now!

Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.

Hi,ClintMc
And for your issue(your pic attached), we point out where you make a mistake and give the description in the following pic. To reslove the problem, read the Line column as string type, and then convert the value to null or 0 if it is a empty string " " on tMap. please see my screenshot

Best regards
--
One Star

valueOf worked like a charm on the float but I can't get it to compile on an Integer (row1.Visitor_score), which in the 2012 schedule has some zeros; am I doing something else wrong?
Seven Stars

The Test! button in Expression Builder doesn't work; you need to actually run the job. As long as row1.Visitor_Score is in the correct format for an integer it should be fine, although Integer.parseInt is more efficient than Integer.valueOf.
One Star

Wow, you are exactly right...now I feel silly. Thank you for the reply!!