Not applicable

MySQL / MariaDB Connection Pool Issues

Hey all - hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.  I've defined a connection pool in the ESB runtime for a MariaDB database (hosted on Amazon RDS, if it matters).  The datasource XML that I've defined and deployed in the runtime looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<blueprint xmlns="http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/blueprint/v1.0.0"
    default-activation="lazy">
    <bean id="CDHDataSource" class="com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlConnectionPoolDataSource">
        <property name="url" value="jdbc:mysql:///?noDatetimeStringSync=true"/>
        <property name="user" value="xxxxxxxx"/>
        <property name="password" value="xxxxxxxxx"/>
    </bean>
    <bean id="cdh" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.datasources.SharedPoolDataSource" destroy-method="close">
        <property name="connectionPoolDataSource" ref="CDHDataSource"/>
        <property name="maxActive" value="250"/>
        <property name="maxIdle" value="50"/>
        <property name="maxWait" value="10000"/>
        <property name="validationQuery" value="select 1"/>
    </bean>
    <service ref="cdh" interface="javax.sql.DataSource">
        <service-properties>
             <entry key="osgi.jndi.service.name" value="jdbc/cdh"/>
        </service-properties>
    </service>
</blueprint>

Note that i've stripped out the related database credentials information for obvious reasons...
The connection pool works and services that I deploy to the runtime use it fine.  My issue is that overnight, when there is no activity (especially in non-production environments), the connection pool sessions become inactive. When that occurs, calls to the service using the connection pool begin to fail with errors such as "Could not send query: Connection timed out" or "Could not send query: Last package not finished".  So, I understand that the issue is that the database is timing out the connections due to inactivty.  I'm trying to update my connection pool properties to account for this, and that's where i'm having issues.  

Based on the documentation I've read regarding the SharedPoolDataSource class, I believe I should be able to add some properties to the bean that will address my issue.  I've tried to update my connection pool definition as follows.  Specifically, I believe "testOnBorrow" should address my problem.  I added a few other properties based on how I think I want the connection pool to behave.   
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<blueprint xmlns="http://www.osgi.org/xmlns/blueprint/v1.0.0"
    default-activation="lazy">
    <bean id="CDHDataSource" class="com.mysql.jdbc.jdbc2.optional.MysqlConnectionPoolDataSource">
        <property name="url" value="jdbc:mysql:///?noDatetimeStringSync=true"/>
        <property name="user" value="xxxxxxxxxx"/>
        <property name="password" value="xxxxxxxxxxx"/>
    </bean>
    <bean id="cdh" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.datasources.SharedPoolDataSource" destroy-method="close">
        <property name="connectionPoolDataSource" ref="CDHDataSource"/>
        <property name="maxActive" value="250"/>
        <property name="maxIdle" value="50"/>
        <property name="maxWait" value="10000"/>
        <property name="validationQuery" value="select 1"/>
<property name="testOnBorrow" value="true"/>
<property name="testWhileIdle" value="true"/>
        <property name="timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis" value="600000"/>
        <property name="numTestsPerEvictionRun" value="50"/>
    </bean>
    <service ref="cdh" interface="javax.sql.DataSource">
        <service-properties>
             <entry key="osgi.jndi.service.name" value="jdbc/cdh"/>
        </service-properties>
    </service>

When I deploy this update to the connection pool, it deploys without error. However, as soon as I call my service that uses this connection pool, I'm seeing the following errors in the ESB runtime log.  If i remove the testOnBorrow property, I get a similar error for each of the other properties that I've added.  However, these are all properties that I believe should exist for the SharedPoolDataSource class, based on the documentation.  Obviously, I must be misunderstanding something about this, but it's not obvious to me.  Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated...  I'm using Talend ESB 6.1.1 currently.

20:37:31,649 | ERROR | pool-36-thread-9 | lueprint.container.ServiceRecipe  309 | 13 - org.apache.aries.blueprint.core - 1.4.5 | Error retrieving service from ServiceRecipe
org.osgi.service.blueprint.container.ComponentDefinitionException: Unable to find property descriptor testOnBorrow on class org.apache.commons.dbcp.datasources.SharedPoolDataSource
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BeanRecipe.getPropertyDescriptor(BeanRecipe.java:976)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BeanRecipe.setProperty(BeanRecipe.java:958)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BeanRecipe.setProperties(BeanRecipe.java:929)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BeanRecipe.setProperties(BeanRecipe.java:910)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BeanRecipe.internalCreate2(BeanRecipe.java:844)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.BeanRecipe.internalCreate(BeanRecipe.java:811)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.di.AbstractRecipe$1.call(AbstractRecipe.java:79)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.di.AbstractRecipe.create(AbstractRecipe.java:88)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.di.RefRecipe.internalCreate(RefRecipe.java:62)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.di.AbstractRecipe.create(AbstractRecipe.java:106)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.ServiceRecipe.createService(ServiceRecipe.java:285)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.ServiceRecipe.internalGetService(ServiceRecipe.java:252)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.ServiceRecipe.getService(ServiceRecipe.java:365)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.ServiceRecipe$TriggerServiceFactory.getService(ServiceRecipe.java:541)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse$1.run(ServiceFactoryUse.java:212)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse.factoryGetService(ServiceFactoryUse.java:210)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse.getService(ServiceFactoryUse.java:111)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceConsumer$2.getService(ServiceConsumer.java:45)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceRegistrationImpl.getService(ServiceRegistrationImpl.java:496)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceRegistry.getService(ServiceRegistry.java:461)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.getService(BundleContextImpl.java:619)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.AbstractServiceReferenceRecipe.getServiceSecurely(AbstractServiceReferenceRecipe.java:235)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.ReferenceRecipe.getService(ReferenceRecipe.java:246)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.ReferenceRecipe.access$000(ReferenceRecipe.java:56)
        at org.apache.aries.blueprint.container.ReferenceRecipe$ServiceDispatcher.call(ReferenceRecipe.java:306)
        at Proxyc084125b_f043_4c58_8966_b5dacf7c56bf.getConnection(Unknown Source)
        at routines.system.TalendDataSource.getConnection(TalendDataSource.java:16)
        at fw_esb.publish_event_2_3.publish_event.tAssertCatcher_1Process(publish_event.java:3306)
        at fw_esb.publish_event_2_3.publish_event.tRESTRequest_1_In_error(publish_event.java:1186)
        at fw_esb.publish_event_2_3.publish_event.tRESTRequest_1_Loop_error(publish_event.java:1170)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
        at fw_esb.publish_event_2_3.publish_event$TalendException.printStackTrace(publish_event.java:391)
        at fw_esb.publish_event_2_3.publish_event.tRESTRequest_1_LoopProcess(publish_event.java:12637)
        at fw_esb.publish_event_2_3.publish_event.runJobInTOS(publish_event.java:13210)
        at org.talend.esb.job.controller.internal.SimpleJobTask$JobRunner.run(SimpleJobTask.java:81)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
        at org.talend.esb.job.controller.internal.SimpleJobTask.run(SimpleJobTask.java:63)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
3 REPLIES

Re: MySQL / MariaDB Connection Pool Issues

Hi,
Have you already checked document about:TalendHelpCenter:Using datasources and connection pooling in Talend Runtime?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Not applicable

No, I'm reviewing that document now.  Thank you.  A couple questions that immediately come to mind, based on what I'm reading there:
- I have multiple database connection pools that I need to create.  It's not obvious how I would do that. For example, if I follow the document, I end up with a single MySQL datasource named "ds-mysql". I see how I can edit the configuration for this datasource under container/etc/org.talend.esb.datasource.mysql.cfg.  But, how do I create multiple datasources of the same database type?
- I see various connection pool settings in the default org.talend.esb.datasource.mysql.cfg that is created. Where can I find the additional parameters that I can use here?  
- The method I have been using to create connection pools was to start with the template provided in the add-ons/datasources/dataservice folder.  I've been creating individual datasource connection pool XML files based on the template from here and then deploying them into the container/deploy directory.  This "functionally" works, except for the issues I've described here.  I don't recall how I landed on going with this method for creating connection pools.  What's the use case scenarios for using this method vs what's described in the document you've referenced?
Not applicable

Anyone have any thoughts on my followup questions? I can't imagine i'm the only one who uses multiple db connection pools?