One Star

Multiple Columns to one column

Hi there, in my source table "Input" I have two fields "Departure_Port" and "Arrival_Port". I would like to input both of these values to 1 column called "Port" on a table called "Target". This way I can manage the lookup data for other reports from this one table. I have been trying to use the : functionality I read on another post. The formula I tried was Input.Departure_Port:Input.Arrival_Port in the Tmap on the Target table and this did not work. It kept giving me the error "Input.Departure_Port.Input cannot be resolved or is not a field and and error Syntax error on token ":", . expected.
I have tried multiple separators with no luck.
^Thank you very much
7 REPLIES
Four Stars

Re: Multiple Columns to one column

try the tJoin component
One Star

I am using the same table and thought there is a good way to combine 2 columns into the same column but not with a concat operation. So in my source table I have:
Col A ColB
value1 value1
value2 valueB
value1 valueD
And my target table would have:
Col A
value1
value2
valueB
valueD
There in no additional lookup table which is what I thought the join was used for.
Four Stars

this should be an easy tMap job, read the talend manual/components manual to give you an idea how to do this.
One Star

I agree, I thought it might be an easy thing and I very well coul dbe missing something. I will keep researching to see what I am missing. I have worked on this for awhile before I reached out to the community. Thank you for your input.
Seven Stars

I think you could either:
-- read the table twice, picking up each column, then combine both flows using tUnite and eliminate the duplicates using tUniqueRow
-- read the table once, concatenate the columns in tMap with a delimiter, tNormalize them to make separate rows and then eliminate the duplicates using tUniqueRow.
Four Stars

use tSplitRow for same table

Six Stars

Why do you need to repeat Value1 in ColumnA?

Is input_dep_port.Input a calculated field?