Monitoring DB setup in TAC for Activity Monitoring Console

One Star

Monitoring DB setup in TAC for Activity Monitoring Console

Hi,
I have successfully configured activity monitoring for entire project in Talend Studio via Project Settings so my jobs write statistics to a local database and I can see them in the AMC perspective. When I deploy a job to TAC the deployed job uses the same DB configuration as defined for the project in Studio. Since TAC runs on a different machine (production environment), this configuration is not valid and the job can not be executed.
My question is: Is it possible to configure monitoring DB at run time from within TAC? Since we have two TACs (test + production) and we need to have a single job deployed to both TACs, we also need to use different configurations of a monitoring DB for that job. How could we do that?
Also, I would rather avoid having credentials to production monitoring DB defined in the project settings, as these would be stored in our SVN.
Thanks,
Tomas
Seventeen Stars

Re: Monitoring DB setup in TAC for Activity Monitoring Console

You cannot change the database connection for the jobs because the jobs does not get it connection parameters from the TAC instead it comes from a dedicated database connection metadata and mostly also from a context var group. The TAC has a database connection to configure the reading amc web app.
I would strongly suggest to separate the production TAC from the development TAC. It is far from being reliable of you run the production within the development. You can install TAC (and all other servers) as much as you want because Talend typically delivers named user licenses and this license does not care about the amount of installations.
I would suggest using separate server hardware for development and production (even better also for test).
One Star

Thanks jlolling for your answer.
You cannot change the database connection for the jobs because the jobs does not get it connection parameters from the TAC instead it comes from a dedicated database connection metadata and mostly also from a context var group.

Yes, I was hoping that there is a way how to change the connection metadata in TAC. Probably not.
From a context var group? How can I do that? Is it possible to define context parameters which will be used for establishing connection to the AMC database? I guess that would work if I used the dedicated components (tStatCatcher, tLogCatcher and tFlowMeterCatcher) in my jobs as described in "Using components" chapter here:
https://help.talend.com/search/all?query=Enabling+activity+monitoring&content-lang=en
Then I could probably use context parameters to define DB connection in tMysqlOutput components.
Anyway, I would rather not use context parameters to set up target database for AMC as I think it is sort of deployment configuration which I would like to setup globally for the entire TAC. I am using context for real job configuration which can change the "business logic" of my jobs.
The TAC has a database connection to configure the reading amc web app.

Yes, I know. Speaking in these terms, I am looking for a way how to globally configure writing to AMC DB.
I would strongly suggest to separate the production TAC from the development TAC. It is far from being reliable of you run the production within the development. You can install TAC (and all other servers) as much as you want because Talend typically delivers named user licenses and this license does not care about the amount of installations.
I would suggest using separate server hardware for development and production (even better also for test).

Yes, but as I said, we do have two separate TACs - production and testing. And they are different servers. For development purposes I use only Studio, in which I need to run my jobs during development phase as well. The thing is that if I use global project monitoring configuration (as described in "Enabling activity monitoring for a project"), this will be used both from production TAC and testing TAC. That is why I currently can not use it as different AMC DBs are used for each TAC.
So, what is the best way to configure target database for AMC in this setup: local Studio, testing TAC and production TAC?
One Star

Apparently, I can not add live URLs. The referred URL to Talend documentation is:
https://help.talend.com/search/all?query=Enabling+activity+monitoring&content-lang=en