Four Stars

Modify context variable permanently

Hi,

Is it possible to modify a context variable within a job, so I can use the newest value of the context variable the next time I run the job?

I would like to use this feature to store the last time the job has run btw.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Thirteen Stars TRF
Thirteen Stars

Re: Modify context variable permanently

Use tContextDump to overwrite the context file with the current values for all the context variables.

TRF
Thirteen Stars TRF
Thirteen Stars

This view is usefull only when running jobs from the Studio.

As soon as you'll run the jobs from the command line or a scheduler, you'll have to manage 1 or more context files which can be overwritten at runtime bt the jobs.

During the development cycle, it's a good practice to use a context file to avoid any surprrise after job deployment.

Have a look to the documentation or search for "implicit context" or something like that.

TRF
5 REPLIES
Thirteen Stars TRF
Thirteen Stars

Use tContextDump to overwrite the context file with the current values for all the context variables.

TRF
Four Stars

A context file? I'am new to Talend so I don't really know what a context file is, I'am just using the view under my job for setting the context variables and I preferer to keep it this way so I don't have to create other seperate files on my computer.
Thirteen Stars TRF
Thirteen Stars

This view is usefull only when running jobs from the Studio.

As soon as you'll run the jobs from the command line or a scheduler, you'll have to manage 1 or more context files which can be overwritten at runtime bt the jobs.

During the development cycle, it's a good practice to use a context file to avoid any surprrise after job deployment.

Have a look to the documentation or search for "implicit context" or something like that.

TRF
Four Stars

I tried to override the context variable with a tJava but when i use a tContextDump it stills printing the old value in the file. How I can overcome this?
Thirteen Stars TRF
Thirteen Stars

Share your job design and tJava piece of code

TRF