One Star

Missing Metadata and Database features, including Repository

I started using TOS DI 5.2 about 2 weeks ago and have created several jobs there. However, I had a need to load data into MongoDB collections and just downloaded BD 5.3
I was expecting that I would at least get all the functionality of Data Integration + more. However, I am missing the Metadata, repository and several Database and schema features.
I tried searching and did the View option but still not resolved.
Does TOS BD not have these items?

• Big Data
7 REPLIES
One Star

Re: Missing Metadata and Database features, including Repository

No, TOS BD does not include Metadata and Context Plugin at all ...
I've used TOS DI since 2007 and I'm so disappointed to find this kind of restriction in TOS BD.
To my mind, it is not a technical issue, because TOS DI and TOS BD use the so called "unified platform"
Talend has changed its licence for TOS BD. If you need this feature, then you have to pay for it. Smiley Sad
I think, you can try some workaround : Load MongoDB components in the TOS DI palette
- locate the Mongodb components in TOS BD (under plugins/org.talend.designer.components.bigdata_5.x/components)
- copy it in a new "user" component folder
- run TOS DI
- configure the location of the user component folder in Window > Preferences and then Talend > Components
Then you should see the mongoDB component in your palette Smiley Wink
One Star

Thank you. I tried this. However, tMongoDB Output is not showing in the list, but Connection, Close and Input are showing.
I also noticed there were a total of 6 components moved, and only 3 are showing in the palette.
Did you have a similar issue?
One Star

I'm sorry, I didn't try before giving this workaround and it doesn't work.
I have just tried a few minutes ago and here is my result after creating a test job :
- 5 components loaded only compared to 6 Mongodb components in Big Data
- the java code is never generated
It seems that code generation is locked when Talend components are running in the wrong TOS distribution :/
It seems that the only solution is to build our own Talend Distribution from the source code Smiley Sad
Employee

Hi
No, TOS BD does not include Metadata and Context Plugin at all ...
I've used TOS DI since 2007 and I'm so disappointed to find this kind of restriction in TOS BD.
To my mind, it is not a technical issue, because TOS DI and TOS BD use the so called "unified platform"
Talend has changed its licence for TOS BD. If you need this feature, then you have to pay for it. Smiley Sad

In fact the issue is on the legal side. Our Metadata Manager is built on top of a lot of LGPL libraries who are not allowed in Apache licenses (the license we use for TOS for BigData). It's why we don't put the metadata manager in TOS for BigData. I understand the frustration TOS for DI users can have when using TOS for BigData and I'm sorry for that.
However, we are working to replace LGPL libraries from TOS for DI to be able to have our Metadata manager also available on TOS for BigData (and still on Apache license) : we commit to fix this issue before the end of the year.
Sorry again for the inconvenience.
One Star

Hi Cédric,
Many thanks for this clarification ! I'm really glad to hear that this problem will be solved soon
I was not aware of this kind of incompatibilities between LGPL and Apache licence.
Does this mean that older products (TOS DI, TOS DQ, TOS MDM ...) will also be transfered to Apache License ?
One Star

Hi Cedric,
It appears that this issue still has not been resolved. Any update on this?
Employee

Hi Cedric,
It appears that this issue still has not been resolved. Any update on this?

Hi
Yes that's right, we were not able to remove all LGPL code from our repository manager for the 5.4 (Q4-2013) release. However, we are still on track to remove all our LGPL code inside our TOS for DI and as a consequence will be able to have the repo manager available for TOS4BigData (who is already under Apache license). We will post some news about this project shortly, stay tuned.