One Star

[Metadata] description of table from AS400

Hi,

when we retrieve schema from a AS400 database (librairies) in the metadata to a AS400 connection, the description of the table is not retrieve from the dspffd to the comment fields of the schema.

bug or not possible ?

Jeremie
7 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: [Metadata] description of table from AS400

Hello
bug or not possible ?

The common filed here is a free filed, you can add some commen manually.
Best regards
shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Hello,
I was searching about this. Have we now a way to get filled the comments column in the schema? I mean, I'd like when we use the button "Guess schema" , we have the comment filled from the TEXT attribute of AS/400 PF file. Any clue?
Cheers,
- Walter
Six Stars

Yeah you should file a feature req....
I agree that it would be very useful to let Talend auto-compile schema comments, especially on large schemas... a feature that an ETL tool should have and very important when interfacing with the AS400 where comments are used heavily ( due to usually cryptic and legacy field names ).
The pity is that Talend has already all in place to do that... a single call to java jdbc DatabaseMetaData.getcolumns getting the REMARKS column would do the trick.
One Star

Thanks emaxt6, I will have in mind your suggest about getting the REMARKS info. Where can I see the currents feature requests?
Community Manager

Thanks emaxt6, I will have in mind your suggest about getting the REMARKS info. Where can I see the currents feature requests?

You can report a new feature on our bugtracker if it does not exist.
http://jira.talendforge.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

thanks shong. I can't found the project for Talend Open Studio. What's the name in Jira?
One Star

Hello together,
when I connect to our AS400 and Import a database table I can see the comments for example
Column name = BVDRCD and in the Comment field I see "Item Number".
In the export file I want the comment from the as 400 as column name, so I want "Item Number" instead of "BVDRCD".
Can this be done automatic?
Greetings