Five Stars

Macintosh Desktop TOS connecting to Windows MS SQL server with Windows Authentication

I'm running a Macintosh and having MAJOR issues trying to connect to our internal MS SQL server.

I've tried JDBC, downloaded the JDBC.jar, renamed it, and just about every combination I can and it still gives me a login error.

I use Tableau with the same credentials and it connects every time so I know it can be done but don't know how by using Talend and the MS SQL components...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciate as I love Talend but this is a requirement for our business right now.

Basic question is if ANYONE has connected their Mac desktop TOS to a Windows MS SQL server and what magic did you use to make it happen?

Thank you,

Dan

dan.horn@icloud.com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Six Stars

Re: Macintosh Desktop TOS connecting to Windows MS SQL server with Windows Authentication

Hi there,

I'm assuming that you've edited the stack trace to replace the actual domain and user name with "[domain]\[username]", otherwise you may want to take a look at that!

You'll almost certainly need to use a SQL Server user, rather than a domain user when connecting to SQL Server from Talend using the JDBC drivers. I've found this with pretty much all Java based apps like this, especially when running them across different platforms. I have previously developed Talend jobs on a Mac which connected to SQL Server, and remember having to do this, but don't have one to hand in order to check now.

Create the SQL Server user, map them to the correct database, set up suitable user permissions on the database itself, and if it's not already the case, enable "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode" on the server, which can be found in the Security section on the properties of your SQL Server within Management Studio.

Regards,

Chris

7 REPLIES

Re: Macintosh Desktop TOS connecting to Windows MS SQL server with Windows Authentication

Hello,

Thanks for your time!

Could you please post the full stack trace of login issue on forum?

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Seven Stars

Five Stars

Guess you missed the part where I said it was a MACINTOSH and not a PC.

OSX doesn’t use .dll files, they are Windows only dynamic link files.

Please try again for a solution is you’d be so kind.
Five Stars

Starting job MS_SQL_Test at 07:43 23/10/2017.

[statistics] connecting to socket on port 3975

[statistics] connected

Exception in component tMSSqlConnection_1

com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Login failed for user '[domain]\[username]'. ClientConnectionId:26d6ad1b-3bc9-4267-b208-8b60f5f7b621

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(SQLServerException.java:217)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSTokenHandler.onEOF(tdsparser.java:279)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSParser.parse(tdsparser.java:99)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.sendLogon(SQLServerConnection.java:4346)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.logon(SQLServerConnection.java:3160)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.access$100(SQLServerConnection.java:43)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection$LogonCommand.doExecute(SQLServerConnection.java:3123)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(IOBuffer.java:7505)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(SQLServerConnection.java:2445)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectHelper(SQLServerConnection.java:1981)

[statistics] disconnected

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.login(SQLServerConnection.java:1628)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectInternal(SQLServerConnection.java:1459)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connect(SQLServerConnection.java:773)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.connect(SQLServerDriver.java:1168)

at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:664)

at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:247)

at test_baum.ms_sql_test_0_1.MS_SQL_Test.tMSSqlConnection_1Process(MS_SQL_Test.java:328)

at test_baum.ms_sql_test_0_1.MS_SQL_Test.runJobInTOS(MS_SQL_Test.java:597)

at test_baum.ms_sql_test_0_1.MS_SQL_Test.main(MS_SQL_Test.java:454)

Job MS_SQL_Test ended at 07:43 23/10/2017. [exit code=1]

Six Stars

Hi there,

I'm assuming that you've edited the stack trace to replace the actual domain and user name with "[domain]\[username]", otherwise you may want to take a look at that!

You'll almost certainly need to use a SQL Server user, rather than a domain user when connecting to SQL Server from Talend using the JDBC drivers. I've found this with pretty much all Java based apps like this, especially when running them across different platforms. I have previously developed Talend jobs on a Mac which connected to SQL Server, and remember having to do this, but don't have one to hand in order to check now.

Create the SQL Server user, map them to the correct database, set up suitable user permissions on the database itself, and if it's not already the case, enable "SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode" on the server, which can be found in the Security section on the properties of your SQL Server within Management Studio.

Regards,

Chris

Five Stars

Thanks Chris, I’ll give it a try but it appears to work fine for Tableau with the domain authentication so I was wondering why it didn’t work with Talend.

I’ll see what I can get working with a SQL user account and update the post here.

Thank you!
Six Stars

Pretty certain the Tableau desktop client is written in C++, rather than Java, and so will use the native drivers, rather than the JDBC versions.