One Star

License and Commercial Application Design Considerations

Hi,
Couple of questions that I would appreciate if someone can take the time to answer.
Background:
I have had my own plans of building a custom ETL tool (specific to Oracle, FlatFiles and Access) that allows the organisation I work for to get rid of some of the proprietary tools that are costing a bombshell in licensing and maintenance. The ultimate aim of such an endeavour being a buy-out of the tool by the organisation from me. The tool design & build being based on Eclipse & RCP using Java. This was the plan till I stumbled upon Talend!
Questions:
1. Am I allowed to leverage off and modify Talend source code to build my own data integration product? I intend to commercially license the product (at a fraction of the cost of the industry heavyweights) or even better sell it for a decent price to the organisation. I do not intend to expose the source code of my product for competitive reasons.
2. What commercial & legal implications (if any) are there of modifying part of the Talend front and back-end features and functionality and exposing the other parts unchanged, the way they are presented in Talend?
3. How long did it take and how many intelligent folks contributed to this interesting piece of software? This will help me estimate the effort if I need to build the custom ETL tool as per my original plan.
Thanks.
3 REPLIES
One Star

Re: License and Commercial Application Design Considerations

Talend is licensed as GPL... so 1) and 2) are illegal as there is a copyleft clause in GPL. Your code would have to be open source Smiley Very Happy
Of the other ETL tools Kettle is LGPL, that allows you some more freedom. Most of the others are also GPL.
One Star

Talend is licensed as GPL... so 1) and 2) are illegal as there is a copyleft clause in GPL. Your code would have to be open source Smiley Very Happy
Of the other ETL tools Kettle is LGPL, that allows you some more freedom. Most of the others are also GPL.

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic
Employee

1. Am I allowed to leverage off and modify Talend source code to build my own data integration product? I intend to commercially license the product (at a fraction of the cost of the industry heavyweights) or even better sell it for a decent price to the organisation. I do not intend to expose the source code of my product for competitive reasons.
2. What commercial & legal implications (if any) are there of modifying part of the Talend front and back-end features and functionality and exposing the other parts unchanged, the way they are presented in Talend?
3. How long did it take and how many intelligent folks contributed to this interesting piece of software? This will help me estimate the effort if I need to build the custom ETL tool as per my original plan.

Hi,
We have an OEM program. You can reach sales@talend.com for more information.