Keeping Talend projects in Subversion

One Star

Keeping Talend projects in Subversion

Hey I'm new to Talend and I want to store my talend projects in subversion so that other members of my team, can work on them with me. Can anyone tell how to do this easily.
Community Manager

Re: Keeping Talend projects in Subversion

Hi
Hey I'm new to Talend and I want to store my talend projects in subversion so that other members of my team, can work on them with me. Can anyone tell how to do this easily.

If you want to work with your team, TIS/TOD is the suitable product for you. Please read this pageto learn more.
Best regards
shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
Employee

One Star

Is there any way to do this in TOS?
Four Stars

You have to shell out the big bucks to be able to use Talend in a repository. It's a shame because I use subversion to keep everything backed up, as oppose to a wide scale sharing access program. I have to manually back up my projects by moving them to another server just in case something like this ( http://www.talendforge.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9428 ) happens again.
One Star

You have to shell out the big bucks to be able to use Talend in a repository. It's a shame because I use subversion to keep everything backed up, as oppose to a wide scale sharing access program. I have to manually back up my projects by moving them to another server just in case something like this ( http://www.talendforge.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9428 ) happens again.

Interesting. Couldn't you just check-in/out the project folder to subversion?
That is what I would be thinking of doing?
Also from what I've read each job design(/process), routine(/code), metadata(/metadata) has an individual .item and .properties file which are contained in the project subfolders. Therefore you could check-in/out these files at either a singular level or else a subfolder or project level.
This should also allow for collaboration between team members.
I've not tested or implemented this solution yet but it is something I hope to visit shortly.
Let me know what your thoughts are as I have very little experience in both Talend and Subversion.
One Star

Has anyone been able to test out the theory on checking out just each job design(/process), routine(/code), metadata(/metadata) for each project? I've ran into problems where the sqlPatterns folder becomes corrupt for each project and, in turn, makes the entire project unusable (I can't do a subversion update from the svn server).
Anyone tested talendfinder's theory? Is there anyone successfully using svn on TOS? I would love to hear how this is done.
Thanks,
Four Stars

I was hoping talendfinder would report back with his theory as well. Backing everything up manually is becoming a pain.
One Star

I tried checking my projects into svn for a while. They eventually became corrupt, and before that they ballooned in size. The only way I could get them back to normal was to create a new project and manually import each individual job.
Mick
One Star

Hi,
We are facing the same issue and I am trying to troubleshoot with talend. Looks like a couple of things we experienced are known issues.
Will let folks know what we find out.
One Star

Hi Guys,
Good to hear that there are other people interested in this.
I haven't personally had a chance to test it fully myself but one of my colleagues did some testing.
Now I don't know if he carried out all the steps correctly but this is essentially what he did.
1. Took a project folder(lets call it SVN_TEST) which he had created on his local machine and uploaded the SVN_TEST folder and all subfolders to Subversion.
2. He went to another machine and exported the SVN_TEST folder from subversion to the workspace folder on this machine. He opened the project. All the info was there but he had a lot of .svn components referenced.
3. He ran some of the jobs and they ran fine. He then modified some jobs and closed the project.
4. He then uploaded the SVN_TEST folder and all subfolders(on the 2nd machine) back to Subversion.
5. He then went back to his original machine and exported the SVN_TEST folder from subversion to the workspace folder on this machine. He opened the project and he was presented with errors which I think were similar to bbeliasos sqlPatterns folder errors.
While this doesn't look promising there are a few potential points of failure that would first need to be looked at and I will have to confirm with my colleague.
1. Both machines should have the same version of talend running
2. Both machines should have the same SVN client and version running. We are using TortoiseSVN and on other tests it threw out errors when trying to check out a folder that had been uploaded with a different version of the client.
tnewman - Have you the issues raised on the bugtracker?
Would be interesting to see what you are getting.
One Star

Hi talendfinder,
I have created a butracker issue :-
http://www.talendforge.org/bugs/view.php?id=11752
for where we are getting 'nullpointexeptions' for a couple of our projects on SVN.
If you can access the Support site follow the fun :-
http://www.talend.com/support/customer.pl?Action=CustomerTicketZoom&TicketID=1639
HTH