Joblet name disappears - job exits with code 0, but does nothing

One Star

Joblet name disappears - job exits with code 0, but does nothing

Every so often, the name of some of my joblets disappears when I save or run a job or when I open it from the repository (when it was definitely there when I saved it and closed it). I'm guessing this is happening when the subjob updates itself because it has changed.
When the job is run, it comes to the problem joblet and exits at this point with no error. No joblets or subjobs after the erroneous joblet will run even if they are connected with OnSubJobOk or OnSubJobError triggers.
To fix, I have to go to the component window of the joblet and click on a version number for it (it then goes back to "latest" if I choose the highest numbered version) and the name of the subjob will reappear and the job will run.
However, when I come back the next day and reopen the job, some other joblet may have its name missing and will cause the main job to exit early but cleanly without doing what it should be doing. It only settles down when I stop changing joblets in the repository. While I'm working I keep having to find the problem joblet(s) and manually set the versions.
Just when I want a screenshot to show it, it isn't happening to me because I'm not editing my joblets (and have a demo shortly, so don't want to risk anything), but is happening almost every few minutes on a colleague's PC.
Thoughts? Is this a defect? Has anyone seen this before.
One Star

Re: Joblet name disappears - job exits with code 0, but does nothing

Talend Platform - Universal,
Version: 5.2.2
Build id: r99271
One Star

This seems to occur when there is a component or a component in a joblet that needs saving/updating. If you find a joblet that this has happened to, going in to the joblet and saving it seems to make it better again. But I would have expect this to occur automatically when I click "OK" on the pop-up telling me that components have changed.
However, even when the joblets are updated and saved, I still get the popup warning me that they've changed and that I need to update parent jobs etc, even when I have.
Seventeen Stars

Please do not try to update a joblet within a job. It looks like it is possible but it does not work! Always open the joblet for it self and change it.
One Star

Thanks for the reply, but the very thing you say not to do is the ONLY way updating a joblet works, provided you update the joblet in the job by clicking on the right version number afterwards.
If you update a joblet directly, the icon in the job in which it is used then keeps losing its name and refuses to run or error. What you suggest is the very cause of the issue. What you say not to do is the only workaround.
To update a joblet by changing it in the repository and then having to reimport it into every job in which it is used makes joblets practically pointless, surely? The self-update isn't working.
One Star

More detail on what I have done.
Open joblet directly and make change. Save joblet - prompt to update parent job is displayed.
Move to parent job - joblet is now displayed with an "_1" after the name.
Run job - joblet fails to do anything and parent job exits with exit code = 0 without doing anything.
Close and open parent job, joblet appears with no name.
The only way of correctly updating a joblet in a parent job appears to be to delete the joblet and add it back in from the repository, then save it.
Even then, it often still asks me to update the joblet when I run the job.
So I'm not actually updating the joblet from within the job. I'm doing it from the repository. The bit that isn't working is the part that updates the joblet in the parent job. This has to be done manually each and every time I make a change, which is a huge number of times per day.
(This is still mavdo, but for some reason, even after logging on to the forum, I can only post as a guest(!))
One Star

So no solutions for this then?
This "feature" is incredibly frustrating.
I edit a joblet and save it. Run the parent job and it prompts me to update the joblet. I do so, but the joblet doesn't run and the job exits without it doing anything in the affected joblet.
If I choose the latest version of the joblet in the job, it updates it, but the same thing occurs as above.
If I delete the joblet from the job and reimport it from the repository, it still prompts me to update it when the job is run, but it does work.
Sometimes I can run a job, get prompted to update the joblet, and it runs successful, then without making any changes in Talend I run the job again, get prompted to update the joblet again, and it exits with code 0 despite not doing anything in the subjob at all, or anything after it.
And no one has any suggestions?