Job design tree job icon symbol meanings

One Star

Job design tree job icon symbol meanings

What is the exact meaning and causes of the little white-x-on-red-background square that sometimes shows up on the lower left block of the three-block job icons? See image.
I get them sometimes after using the job design editor. Sometimes the jobs continue to work properly. Sometimes the whole application freezes when I try to open one of them, export it, or even open a metadata element used by them.
Right now, I have a couple of such jobs I can't even delete (TOS DI hangs). On one I can still open and run. Duplicating the job results in the new copy also having the x-mark. Copying the contents from within the job design editor and pasting into a new, clean, empty job also transfers what ever problem the job has.
The second image shows a successful Run of the first x-marked job, which is repeatable.
The x-mark sometimes appear after editing sessions get errors (as in when deleting un-needed component). Note the third image I made earlier of one of the last successful job executions of the second x-marked job. The last, right-most tFileOutputExcel component has an odd background and a phantom ! symbol. Mousing over the ! displayed a caution that the component has no inputs, which it clearly does, and the component worked properly in that and several subsequent Runs. Now, any attempt to access the component hangs TOS DI (5.2.1).
Is there a way to fix these problems?
Community Manager

Re: Job design tree job icon symbol meanings

Hi
We usually open the code tab and see if there has compile error, then, close the job and open it again, the x-mark appears. If the job has compile error, you are always required to fix the error before executing the job.
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Thanks, Shong for your advice.
I looked in the code tab for the job above that I can open and found 12 warnings. 6 were exactly the same:
"Multiple markers at this line
- Comparable is a raw type. References to generic type Comparable<T> should be parameterized
- Type safety: The method compareTo(Object) belongs to the raw type Comparable. References to
generic type Comparable<T> should be parameterized"
They all referred to the phrase "((Comparable) object1).compareTo(object2)" in a different copy of this, same routine:
" private int checkNullsAndCompare(Object object1, Object object2) {
int returnValue = 0;
if (object1 instanceof Comparable && object2 instanceof Comparable) {
******* returnValue = ((Comparable) object1).compareTo(object2); *************
} else if (object1 != null && object2 != null) {
returnValue = compareStrings(object1.toString(),
object2.toString());
} else if (object1 == null && object2 != null) {
returnValue = 1;
} else if (object1 != null && object2 == null) {
returnValue = -1;
} else {
returnValue = 0;
}
return returnValue;
}"
6 other warnings were also of the type, "References to generic type XXXXXX should be parameterized".
The last warning was "The static method convertToJsonText(Object) from the type ResumeUtil should be accessed in a static way.
Like I said, this job executes. I looked and found similar warnings in jobs not marked with the X.
What do you think?
One Star

I see the same red x in several of my jobs. The Problems tab shows NO warnings, errors or infos. When I look at the code view there are no errors. When I look at the code view, after a minute or 2 the red x disappears from the tab and from the job name in the Repository explorer.
When I close the jobs from the design view, after a few seconds the red x reappears in the Repository view. I did nothing to edit or run these jobs during this time. I didn't save them. I just open the job with the red x, switch to code view. And the red x disappears. When I close the job, the red x reappears.

Hi steveo250k,
It is very interesting. If there is no error in your code viewer, does your job works well? Could you sharing your job screenshots and work flow with us?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Hi all,
I'm having same issues with the x mark from the job name in the repository explorer,i have tried so many ways but the x mark 's still here. And all the jobs of mine still work well. If someone knew the issues please let know to fix the problem. 
So many thanks.
Seventeen Stars

The error markers in the repository view are mostly irrelevant because they does not show a real error. If a job has in its design time an error the error state often remains or simply jump to another job. Talend has never solved this problem since my first used release 4.0.3 (I guess the problem is older).
Every Talend developer knows this behaviour and ignores this markers. Sometimes it drives me a bit creasy and I try to get rid of them and sometimes it looks like I succeed but it comes back for sure :-/