Iterate on tRestClient

Six Stars

Iterate on tRestClient

Morning Community...I hope this is an easy one Smiley Happy

I have this flow:

tRestClient ->tExtractJSONFields -> tFlowtoIterate -> tRestClient2 -> tExtractJSONFields -> tLogRow

I'm trying to take a list of values from the first tRestClient and pass them one-by-one to the second tRestClient.  But what's happening is that only the last value is being passed.  How can I loop through all values from the first tRestClient?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Forteen Stars

Re: Iterate on tRestClient

you need change OnComponentOk connection to Iterate on first picture

as variant tFloToIterate -> Iterate -> tJavaFlex -> OnComponentOk -> tRestClient

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 5.03.14 PM.png

-----------
Forteen Stars

check - what settings you define for tRedshiftOutput

for example if it truncate (empty) table or drop and create, result would be exactly as described, only last iteration will be saved

-----------

All Replies
Forteen Stars

Hi

your steps sequence is correct, it means - something wrong in settings or job design

you need to share all design, because it very hard to guess - what  wrong, but it could be something small issue

-----------
Six Stars

Hi Vapukov and thanks for helping out!!  I'll do my best...here goes...

API_1.pngAPI_2.pngAPI_3.pngAPI_4.pngAPI_5.pngAPI_6.pngAPI_7.pngAPI_8.png

Forteen Stars

you need change OnComponentOk connection to Iterate on first picture

as variant tFloToIterate -> Iterate -> tJavaFlex -> OnComponentOk -> tRestClient

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 5.03.14 PM.png

-----------
Six Stars

Vapukov...awesome!  that worked!!! (I think...)

Question...so the tJava component is kind of acting like a dummy step simply to get the Iterate functionality?

I say "I think" because in my tLogRow, I can see 40 rows for ticket #1 but when I look in the source system, there appear to only be 31 rows.  Then for ticket #2 (the second iteration), I get 20 rows in my tLogRow but there are 35 in source.

It's pretty late here and I'm fried mentally, so I'll check first thing in the morning and update you (and the Community).

Bottom line...you were a HUGE help!!  Thanks!!!

Highlighted
Forteen Stars

@bradsheridan wrote:

Vapukov...awesome!  that worked!!! (I think...)

Question...so the tJava component is kind of acting like a dummy step simply to get the Iterate functionality?

yes, it just a dummy (or you can use it for any other iteration operation)

-----------
Six Stars

Morning Vapukov - things are definitely working better.  I limited my input set of data to 3 'tickets', each having a varying number of 'revisions'.  The resulting tLogRow correctly outputs the data.  However, when I remove the tLogRow and try to output the data to a table in Redshift, I'm back to getting only the last ticket in the input data.  I tried throwing a tJavaFlex right before the tRedshiftOutput (name 'tfs_boardworkitems in my screenshot below) but that didn't work either.

thoughts?

Thanks

TFS_10.png

Forteen Stars

check - what settings you define for tRedshiftOutput

for example if it truncate (empty) table or drop and create, result would be exactly as described, only last iteration will be saved

-----------
Six Stars

Vapukov...sometimes it's the attention to details that makes the difference Smiley Happy

I had the Redshift component set to "drop and recreate table if it exists".  Changing that to none, leaving the action to Insert, and adding a prejob to truncate the table each run did the trick!!  

Thanks again for all your help!!

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

How OTTO Utilizes Big Data to Deliver Personalized Experiences

Read about OTTO's experiences with Big Data and Personalized Experiences

Blog

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables

Blog

Talend Integration with Databricks

Take a look at this video about Talend Integration with Databricks