One Star

Is talend studio supports creation of custom fields type?

Hi,
I like to know if we can customize talend studio(customization done in JAVA).
1.Creating custom fields type (i.e like schema type can i have WSDL type field)
2.Custom action for the three_dotted button found in basic setting in the component tab.
Please let me know your comments and also pls share the tutorials available.
Thanks in advance.
Thanks,
Balaji Kandasamy
9 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Is talend studio supports creation of custom fields type?

Hello
Please refers to the component creation documentation.
https://help.talend.com/search/all?query=How+to+create+a+custom+component
Regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

The component guide does not document custom field types.
The custom action can be provided by adding an eclipse RCP extension but again there is no documentation for this. Some of the components source such as the tmap show in the XML how to link a field to an extension.
It would be great if an extension tutorial would be added to the wiki.
One Star

I know this is an old question, but it's exactly what I'm looking for and the tutorial in the wiki does still not cover this topic.
In general, I would like to have custom field type, which would be a button that executes some Java code when the user clicks on it.
Obviously, this is possible, but from the source code of components like tMap or tOracleConnection, where custom fields are used, I can't find any hint where to put the code for custom fields - I don't even know HOW the field names are resolved by Talend.
Can someone help me get started with this?

(In case I'm having it all wrong, here's my usecase: I'm calculating statistical data on columns of a table. Depending on the datatype, different statistics are calculated, which right now the user has to select by hand. For really large tables with hundrets of columns, this is rather tedious, so I'd like to infer the best matching type of statistic to calculate for all columns and add them to the list. This should happen when the user clicks this button I want. Handling everything automatically is not an option, the user must still be able to select columns and manually adjust the types of statistics)
One Star

All right, I'm a bit disappointed that I got no answer, but I want to share what I've found out so far...
The available field types are defined in , so contrary to my previous assumption, TNS_EDITOR from tOracleConnection is not a custom field specific to this component, but one of the many field types available to all the components and right now, I must assume that there is no way to add custom fields, as all available fields I've seen so far are present in the Talend core.
The implementations of all fields can be found in and there's some interesting stuff in there, like which corresponds to FIELD="JAVA_COMMAND". The only documentation I could find for JAVA_COMMAND is the answer to issue . If this works as expected, I can call an arbitrary function in my own java library by the click of a button. Awesome!
But there's one part still missing: I don't have access to any data. So what I need is the ability to access connectors or at least the table schema, the same way as from within a regular *_begin.javajet
Is there a way to do this?

Links
http://www.talendforge.org/trac/tos/browser/trunk/org.talend.core.runtime/src/main/java/org/talend/c...
http://www.talendforge.org/trac/tos/browser/trunk/org.talend.designer.core/src/main/java/org/talend/...
http://www.talendforge.org/trac/tos/browser/trunk/org.talend.designer.core/src/main/java/org/talend/...
https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TDI-6398?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:al...
One Star

I'm still struggling with this issue, but maybe here's a new approach: In tAggregateRow, a very similar problem is solved by providing the "Add all"-button, which just adds all input and output columns to a list. This would definitely solve my problem!
In the code of this component, a regular TABLE parameter is used, which does not provide this kind of functionality when I use it in my components. Also, I could not find any hints on where this button is actually defined.
Where does this function come from? And how can I use it in my own components?
Any comment on this would be highly appreciated.
Seventeen Stars

hi,
not sure about what you're expected, but there no way to add a 'click button' in Talend Interface as it.
have a look at this well-done tutorial :
http://www.powerupbi.com/talend/componentCreation_1.html
regards
laurent
One Star

Yeah, I've read this tutorial, quite useful.
not sure about what you're expected, but there no way to add a 'click button' in Talend Interface as it.

Actually, there is a way to add buttons with arbitrary functionality; you can use them to call scripts or functions in a Java library and stuff like that. Go three posts back to read more about this.
The problem is that I haven't found a way to access and manipulate the parameters of a component, as it's done in the tAggregateRow...
Seventeen Stars

The problem is that I haven't found a way to access and manipulate the parameters of a component

use component designer perspective.
regards
laurent
One Star

Seriously? use component designer perspective?
Developing Talend Components is fundamentally broken in so many ways: You write code which is not backed by a compiler, which gives you no syntax error hints, no debugging, no junping into sources, no code autocompletion, no documentation for developers - and you suggest that switching to the designer perspective will fix that?
Yes, I know I can look into the source code of Talend components, it's just that it doesn't make any sense to me why the TABLE parameter creates the "Add All"-button for some built-in components but definitely not mine.
Sorry for this outburst, it's been such a pain to develop Talend-components so far...