Four Stars

Insert/Update versus table-file-table

Hi ,

I have been using insert/update to update or insert a table in mysql from sql server. The job is set up as a cronjob. The job runs every 8 hours. The number of records in the source table is around 400000. Every 8 hours around 100 records might get updated or inserted.

I run the job in such a away that at the source level, I only take the modified runs between the last run and the current run.

I have observed that just to update / insert 100 rows the time taken is 30 minutes.

However, another way was to dump all of the 400000 in a file and then truncate the destination table and insert all of those records all over again. This process is done at every job run

So, now may I know why does insert/update take so much time?

The job design for insert/update is  as follows

Capture.PNG

Thanks in advance

Rathi

• Data Integration
5 REPLIES
Nine Stars TRF
Nine Stars

Re: Insert/Update versus table-file-table

Hi,

30 minutes to insert/update only 100 records seems very long.

Do you know elapsed time for each task? 

How long for the tMSSqlInput, tMSSqlRow and tMysqlOutput?

What appens in tMSSqlRow?

TRF
Four Stars

Ahh, I do not know the elapsed time for each component. 

The tmmsqlrow updates the time in a table about the end of time of the job

Thanks 

Rathi

Four Stars

Hi TRF, 

Are there any other kind of statistics that I need to gather to help explain the problem?

Thanks

Rathi

Nine Stars TRF
Nine Stars

As you have a tStatCatcher subjob, just check the option "tStatCatcher statistics" on Advanced settings for all critical components.

If possible, compare the elapsed time when doing operations outside of Talend.

TRF
Ten Stars

Possible reasons for this (given what you have said) are....

1) You are not updating on a primary key or an indexed key. Do you have any indexes on your insert table? You may only update/insert 100 records but you say you are actually processing 400000 records. That is potentially n(number of records in your source table) x 400000 comparisons (possibly full table scans).
2) Do you have insert/update triggers on your insert table? These will add some latency.....but I wouldn't expect this to be your cause if I am honest.

Rilhia Solutions