One Star

InputExcel java.text.ParseException: Unparseable number: "(2,000.00)"

Hi I do not know if anyone has the same problem, I found a lot of posts saying that this has been solved.
I am running version 5.3.0, and the problem is that the excel that I am trying to import has numbers in a particular field, however I am setting the schema to import everything as string.
However the tFileInputExcel is giving me this error: Exception in component tFileInputExcel_1
java.text.ParseException: Unparseable number: "(2,000.00)"
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards
Ruben
7 REPLIES
One Star

Re: InputExcel java.text.ParseException: Unparseable number: "(2,000.00)"

Hi Ruben, maybe you should post some other information o screenshots to show how did you configure your schema and how you are carrying your output out..
Anyway, i tried to do the same thing using an excel file as a data source and a tmap with a tlogrow.
Configuring the column as a string in the schema of your tfileinputexcel, and doing the same in your output you should have no errors...as in the screenshots below
One Star

Hi cheaito,
Thanks for your prompt reply, basically I have exactly what you have from the talend side.
My issue is with excel, the cell that has the value -2000 has a cell format "Custom" and Type is "#,##0.00;-#,##0.00" could be this that is giving the error.
It seems that although I am setting the schema from talend as string it is still trying to parse the value as number.
Regards
Ruben
One Star

To add to my post above, that was the issue, once i changed the format to text from excel it worked.
Having said that this file is exported like that from a system so I cannot stay modifying the file prior of importing the data.
Is there something I can do?
Thanks in advance
Ruben
One Star

I modified the column format in my excel file and i selected the same custom format you are using and it works fine for me!! Try to post a screenshot of the excel's schema and the tmap editor in Talend...maybe you are missing something there.
Regards
A.C
One Star

Thanks for the reply, i am posting some images below.
One thing I noticed that the excel has function within its fields.
Regards
Ruben
One Star

Found this post maybe it will help me... Smiley Happy
http://www.talendforge.org/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=110063
One Star

It seems like I managed to work around this issue, by removing these columns and using the raw columns and do the calculations in TMAP.
thanks
Ruben