One Star

Incorrect default DB Type in tMySQLOutput for large Salesforce string

Hi there. I'm putting together a set of Salesforce extraction jobs that suck data out of Salesforce and create tables in a MySQL warehouse. The problem is, when I connect the tSalesforceInput components to my tMySQLOutput components, the default "DB Type" chosen in the MySQL component for very large "String" fields in Salesforce is the "VARCHAR". Talend keeps the character count just fine, but the jobs won't run without my changing every "DB Type" from VARCHAR to TEXT. I get errors like this:
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Column length too big for column
This is especially frustrating if I have to change my Salesforce schema, i.e. add/modify fields, and then I refresh Talend. If I propagate changes, all those "DB Type" fields get set back to VARCHAR. Even more frustrating is that having it default to VARCHAR means that, with my super-wide tables, I blow through the 65k CHAR overall column width pretty easily. Image attached showing an example schema mapping.
So, how can I get Talend to recognize "String" fields greater than 255 chars in Salesforce (identified there as "Long Text"), and by default use the TEXT "DB Type" in my tMySQLOutput components?
Thanks in-advance for any advice!
Ben
Talend version: TOS DI v5.3.1.r104014
6 REPLIES

Re: Incorrect default DB Type in tMySQLOutput for large Salesforce string

Hi,
Would you mind opening a jira bug in talend DI project on talend jira portal, our developer will check it to see if it is feasible.
Note: Please open the issue type as "Work Item".
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Thank you Sabrina - I have done so: https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TDI-27276
Regards, Ben

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. I will track this issue and inform you as long as there is response.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.

Hi,
Here is a response on https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TDI-27276.
Would you mind checking it and let me know if it's not OK with you.
It is welcome to add your comment in bug.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

Hi Sabrina,
Thanks for your prompt attention to this issue! Actually, the suggestion Michaël made, while interesting and probably useful in other contexts, doesn't solve my problem. The issue has more to do with DB Type determination based on source string *length*, not just the source data type (string).
Regards, Ben

Hi,
I will inform Michaël about your feedback to see if there is any other option for your issue. Thanks for your response.
Best regards
Sabrina
--