The workspace I worked before crashed because lack of memory on the machine, It followed with corrupting the project file and the workspace couldn't open again. So now we work on an old back up workspace and we want to import the jobs from the workspace that crushed. The issue is that we don't have exports of the jobs, as Talend expects for the import, only the .item and .property files for each job.
Tried to import the jobs with help of this https://www.talendforge.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9384, (Open the projectName/process folder and see if there are two files: jobName_0.1.item and jobName_0.1.properties, if so, copy these two files and go to Navigator viewer-->projectName-->process and paste them, and then go to Repository viewer and press 'refresh' button.), but it didn't worked.
After investigation I noticed that .property files are empty for each job.
So my question is if there is a way for restoring property files for the jobs, or any other way for importing the old jobs in the new workspace.
Thank you in advance.
If the property files are empty for each job, this will be hard to fix. However, before you try playing around with the internals of files, have you tried importing your whole project? You do it in exactly the same way as importing a zip, except you import a folder structure. The folder structure being your project folder within your workspace. This allows Talend to look at the project config. This *may* help. Try that first.
I tried your solution and it didn't help me much but it made me think of something else so I solved it. The trick is to create a new job (this will crate new .property files) with the same name of the lost one. Then replace the files (.item & .screenshot) behind the scenes and then refresh in the program.
Thank you very much for the help, hope this will help someone else, even is a lot of manual work especially if you have a lot of jobs.
You jumped ahead and worked out my next suggestion.....nice one! :-) That is not a supported way of solving this, but it does work as a last resort. Keep an eye out for some strange behavior, since some UIDs may not be linked properly. I've not had anything disastrous happen doing this, but I am always prepared for some issues if I've done this.
Yes I had some issues, the start job and finish job, job property was empty, and I needed to replaced it all, also for other components that are custom created I needed to add references to the job they represent, but now is fine. It was a lot of work and took me a lot of hours, hope this will help someone else. Thank you very much for your help.