Four Stars ul2
Four Stars

Implicit context and database schema

Hello,
I inherited from a Talend project where the context variables are set of every different ways : load on the fly from the database or a external file with a tContextLoad or directly with the Context group into the repository frame.
Now, il would like to standardize and put them in a properties file and to use the implicit context load. I've more or less succeed but in using the implicit loading I'm not able anymore to retrieve schema of the db metadata. I can understand it because I load the context in running the job but be able to read the db schema is a main advantage.
Is it possible to have a complete externalisation of the context throug a properties file (and only in it for easy usage) and in the same way to be able to retrieve db schemas in the studio ?
Regards,
2 REPLIES

Re: Implicit context and database schema

unfortunately, no Smiley Sad
what you can do is maintain some of the proper values as the defaults in your client-- that will allow for retrieving schemas, but will leave you with the problem of synching your development environment with your properties file
Four Stars ul2
Four Stars

Re: Implicit context and database schema

Thanks. It will avoid to waste time.
What are the best practices in Talend world to know when applying context in properties file or in context group ? Even if, as far as I know, when I have to deploy on the server, the context group will be implemented with a properties files.
How can I do the best choice for the future of the project between the two ways ?
Regards,