Highlighted
Five Stars dgm
Five Stars

I need help to understand the job I pick from "talend job design patterns and best practices"

Hi,

I found an interesting job on https://medium.com/@Talend/talend-job-design-patterns-and-best-practices-part-1-746c92b557ba

It's an exemple to show how we can apply best practices when designing jobs. I have 3 questions concerning that job

1- HBaseOPEN : I think that's tWarn component. How can it be consider as a subjob?

2- ReadFAILDED : I think that's tDie component. How can it be the starting point of a job?

3- JobDONE : I think that's tWarn component. Is it possible to use it as a tRunJob component?

Thanks for your help

Sincerely

dgm

• Data Integration
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Seven Stars

Re: I need help to understand the job I pick from "talend job design patterns and best practices"

1) A subjob is how Talend groups components within a job that share a data flow. There is a trigger link between OPEN_HBase and HBaseOpen, so they don't share a flow. The purpose of HBaseOPEN is just to log the fact that the connection was successful.

2) In laying out best practices, the author forgets good component layout habits. Arrows that run left or up can confuse a reader as to the order of execution. Case in point, ReadFAILED is triggered by processFORMDATA, not the other way around.

3) As with question 1, the tWarn component is being used for logging purposes. It does not share a flow with its neighbors, so Talend defines it as its own subJob.

1 REPLY
Seven Stars

Re: I need help to understand the job I pick from "talend job design patterns and best practices"

1) A subjob is how Talend groups components within a job that share a data flow. There is a trigger link between OPEN_HBase and HBaseOpen, so they don't share a flow. The purpose of HBaseOPEN is just to log the fact that the connection was successful.

2) In laying out best practices, the author forgets good component layout habits. Arrows that run left or up can confuse a reader as to the order of execution. Case in point, ReadFAILED is triggered by processFORMDATA, not the other way around.

3) As with question 1, the tWarn component is being used for logging purposes. It does not share a flow with its neighbors, so Talend defines it as its own subJob.