How to update the configured JDBC driver

One Star

How to update the configured JDBC driver

Hi,
I need to update the JDBC driver associated with PostgreSQL tInput/tOutput.
Can someone please advise how I go about doing this, I did update the following file to reference the new JAR (JDBC4) file which I copied to the same path
\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_4.2.0.r59885\components\tPostgresqlInput\tPostgresqlInput_java.xml
I restarted Talend but it does not recognise the changes.
(Talend v4.2.0)
Cheers
One Star

Re: How to update the configured JDBC driver

Hello,
in case of failure you could also use the generic JDBC connection with the appropriate and explicit driver.
But you would need to upgrade many components from Postgre to Generic.
OK for test without Postgre specific components need.
JNB
One Star

I specifically want to change the driver from 8.3 to 8.4 and will soon need to change to 9.x. I tried your suggestion but Windows 7 64 bit seems to have issues with ODBC which I am struggling to get fixed. It will probably be easier to do it in the Talend configuration.
Many thanks
One Star

I must say that I don't know if it is a Talend issue or an opensource issue but I can never understand why it is so difficult to get a solution to something that is so simple.
If Talend gave me an option to buy a licensed version of Talend Studio for $99 and if I wanted extended features pay $199 (pricing just as an example) and then know I have support I would but it's so cryptic and you have chat to a sales team and do a whole requirements analysis ...........

I think Talend need to change their business model to make purchasing licenses more transparent and simpler for those wanting to buy the product.
My 2 cents.
One Star

with TOS 3.1.1 (not tested on Talend v4.2.0) it actualy works like that (update from postgresJdbc 8.3 to postgresJdbc 9.0.3) :
N.B.: under my project the only components where a postgresjdbc.jar is present is the tPostgresqlInput component
here are the few steps:
- close TOS
- discard the the old jdbc.jar under TOS\lib\java\
- rename to *.jarOLD the old jdbc.jar under your folder \plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_X.X.X.xxxxx\components\tPostgresqlInput\
- copy at the same place your new jdbc.jar i.e under \plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_X.X.X.xxxxx\components\tPostgresqlInput\
- rename this new copied jdbc.jar with the same name as the old one (i.e. like it is writtent in the tPostgresqlInput_java.xml file)
- open TOS
I agree this is kind of messy, you keep going with a jar call "OldVersion" which actualy is the "NewVersion" ( I would have rather liked to be able to rename the reference to the new jdbc.jar in the XML file, but if I do that, It is not working , the jar is neither regenerated in the TOS/JAVA/LIB folder nor is it exported in the Project script ).
Anyway it is the only work around I could find ( the export jobscript works well as well, i.e. the OLDNew jdbc.jar is exported in the script)!
Can you please try and Tell me if it works for TOSV4.0.2?
One Star

Will try it today and let yo know.
Cheers
One Star

tested OK on TOS 5.1.1
One Star

things have changed a little bit,
but still if we want to force our tPotgresql component to use a specific JDBC, the problem stays the same.
is there a "simple" way to overcome the problem having to rewritte all Postgresql component xml config files?
i.e. changing the the configuration code
<<...
<IMPORT NAME="Driver-Postgres" MODULE="postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc3.jar" UrlPath="platform:/plugin/org.talend.libraries.jdbc.postgresql/lib/postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc3.jar" REQUIRED="true" />
>>
found in each "tPostgreSqlComponent" configuration file
eg.
..\TOS\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.localprovider_5.4.0.M2_r106416\components\tPostgresqlXXX\tPostgresqlXXXt_java.xml

For now I still use the way expalined formerly in this post.