How to set a comment on a new job version

One Star lih
One Star

How to set a comment on a new job version

Hi,
I'd like to know how to set a comment on a new job version. Let's say I fixed a bug somewhere in a tmap and I want to indicate it in the comment of the last job version.
Thanks
Five Stars

Re: How to set a comment on a new job version

You could add it to your Job's description.
You could add a note to the Job.
You can add documentation to individual components.
You can document it externally.

Hi,
Right click your job, here is an option "Edit Properties". You can set a comment in description field.
Is it what you are looking for?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star lih
One Star

thanks guys for your answers. You are confirming what I thought : there's no way to add a comment for a specific version of a job. That's just too bad. If I compare to git, you can leave a comment each time you do a commit. that's what I wanted to do here, and I think this is very useful but I'll just find a way to leave a comment elsewhere.
maybe this is a feature that could be added in a future release ?

Hi,
What does your expected comment look like? Could you please set an example for your case?
With talend subscription version, here is Talend Activity Monitoring Console which is used to monitor Talend Jobs and projects.
Please refer to document:TalendHelpCenter:Introduction to Talend Activity Monitoring Console
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star lih
One Star

what I wanted to leave as comment would look like :
v0.1 : initial version
v0.2 : field "username" added 
v0.3 : field "town" deleted
v1.0 : table "Customer" added
v1.1 : bug on Customers without address fixed
and so on...
I had a quick look at the link you gave me. not sure this is what I was looking for...
Five Stars

You can do this in the suggested methods.
There's just no special place for version/commit history as you might get with GIT.
One Star lih
One Star

exactly. that's why I asked if it was a feature that could be added.

Hi,

The remote project is stored in a SVN server, so you can read the history log and revert the change with a SVN client tool, such as TortoiseSVN.

Best regards

Sabrina

--
One Star

what I wanted to leave as comment would look like :
v0.1 : initial version
v0.2 : field "username" added 
v0.3 : field "town" deleted
v1.0 : table "Customer" added
v1.1 : bug on Customers without address fixed
and so on...
I had a quick look at the link you gave me. not sure this is what I was looking for...

Hi Lih,
So I have also been searching around for something similar to this in order to be able to integrate and see commits in our JIRA projects (by prepending the JIRA issue number to the commit message). After some quite frustrating research, and almost giving up, I found a workable solution. Mind you, you will need a Subscription version of Talend for the below option to work for you. Also, this only works with Studio connected to a project in Remote Mode. (Studio doesn't currently offer the custom commit message for projects in Local mode).

From your TAC (Talend Administration center) instance, go to Settings > Projects.
Select your desired project and check ON the Custom Logs option. Save your changes (and do this for all desired projects as well).
Now open Talend Studio and connect remotely to the project.
With this done, now every save in the project will bring up the Commit changes on server dialog.

So now you can type in your custom message to reflect the changes you've made to the project and jobs.
Talend will include ALL changes made to the project, so in order to conform to your Git workflow you'd want to save changes after completing a 'unit of work' on a specific job (e.g. fixing an address bug). And also, remember to increment the job's version as needed to match your commits (i.e. Right-click on Job > Edit Properties). In the Version field, click on the M to increase the Major version, or m to increase the Minor version number.
For convenience in not being prompted to commit changes every single time you run a job (e.g. while testing). Disable the default 'save before every run' behavior by checking OFF the Save before execution option in Talend Studio under Window > Preferences > Talend > Run/Debug.
Finally, as a performance boost (due to the remote connection), check OFF the Automatic refresh of locks option also in Talend Studio under Windows > Preferences > Talend > Performance. You may only want to do this if you have just a few developers working of distinct projects/branches. If your developers' works overlap, then maybe keep this option on.

Also note that Talend will now bring up the dialog every time something changes in your project repository (e.g. a new folder is created or renamed, a job is moved to a different folder etc).
*Sigh*... A blessing and a curse I guess.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dela.
PS:
The links I'm inserting below seem to stripped away whenever I save the post. Hope you are still able to find the documentation based on the titles.
References.

Talend Docs - Managing Projects
Talend Docs - How to log information on edited items
Talend Studio in Local mode does not support custom commit messages.