Five Stars

How to reuse a set of components

Hi All!

I have a Job wich entrypoint is a tRestRequest component with 3 uri's. Depending on the uri called I have to set up a group of different values then call a REST API. From this point to the end of flow I have tha same behavior.

I spent several hours looking for a component that group this components into one to be reused, but I not found a solution. 

There is a way to promove the reuse of a set of components inside a Job?

Thank's in advance!

Luciano

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES
Twelve Stars

Re: How to reuse a set of components

Do you have the Enterprise Edition? If so, you can use Joblets to achieve this functionality.

If you do not have the Enterprise Edition, you can probably make use of child jobs. Basically a child job is just like any other job, but used inside a another job. Think of it as a way of creating a reusable "method". However, child jobs have certain limitations which Joblets do not have. One such limitation is that it is not easy to send flows of data to a child job. You CAN send a row at a time via multiple Context variables OR (if you don't mind creating your own dataset collections in Java) you can create your collection and pass it as an Object to a Context variable of the child job. In order to output the result of your calculations, you can use a tBufferOutput and that will return the data to the parent job.

In your scenario (without the Enterprise Edition) I suspect you will need a child job connected to a tRestResponse (or several). All of your logic can take place in the child job. With the Enterprise Edition, just use a Joblet 

Rilhia Solutions
Five Stars

Hi,

I'm dedicated to inspect SOA tools or platforms free and not to adopt for my company. In my research, the Talend ESB was one of the choices.

As part of this research I'll analyze the platform under many aspects, like easylly of use, documentation, support and finnaly the cost.

Reuse is a important aspect of software development, directly linked of productivity and less operational cost. I think limiting an important feature like this (joblets) only in Enterprise Edition is limiting to my analyses.

How can I recommend one platform that I'm not sure of all their capabilities?

Thanks

Luciano
Employee

Please contact our partner team and let them know your needs.  

Five Stars

Iburtally , thank's for your reply!

I just wish I had a tool without limitations. To offer a free platform with limitations blocking important resources like reuse of pieces of code is frustrating to me.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I not found this limitations at the download page: 

image.png

This business model is a little bit different that I'm seen in other platforms like JBoss and PNDA that we also use. These platforms doesn't have any limitations. The business model is based in support at production environment.

Employee

You should go to the product page like https://www.talend.com/products/application-integration/ and scroll all the way down.  Then, expand the sections as shown below to see the differences.  

ProductCompare.jpg

Five Stars

I carefully saw this section and didn't see this limitation. But I'm yet thinking limiting something so important to development is very frustrating.

Twelve Stars

Talend don't withhold a great deal, and you can get by without what they do withhold quite easily, if you know the tool (and have a background in data integration). What Talend withholds makes it easier and adds value which they quite fairly expect you to pay for. Informatica do not allow you to use their complete tool set free of charge. 

However, going back to your requirement of reusability, you can achieve that with the Open Source tool. You can simply expand upon it with the Enterprise Edition. Given a decent understanding of the data integration domain and a reasonable understanding of Java, I don't believe there is anything in the DI domain that cannot be achieved with the Open Source edition.

Rilhia Solutions