One Star

How to migrate VSAM tables with EBCDIC format to MySQL

Hello togehter,
I have to export VSAM data (in EBCDIC format)  to an MySQL DB by "TOS for Data Integration". As I researched online I found within Talend componets (connectors) two componets that may solve my problem:
# tExtractEBCDICFields
# tFileInputEBCDIC
My quesions:
1) does "TOS for Data Integration" generally support such data export/conversion to another system (readable for user)?
2) If not, do I need Talend Enterprise Edition for implementation of my project?
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Wahid
4 REPLIES
Seventeen Stars

Re: How to migrate VSAM tables with EBCDIC format to MySQL

VSAM data are not in EBCDIC. You are mixing up 2 completely different formats.
VSAM is a host related file format and EBCDIC is another host related file format.
You can write Cobol jobs transferring the VSAM data into a EBCDIC file and EBCDIC files can be read in Talend with tFileInputEBCDIC (and by the help of the metadata wizard to get the structures and you need the copybook file for the EBCDIC file to know the structure).
One Star

Hello Jan,
Thank you very much for explanation. I will post the result here.
Kindest regards,
Wahid
One Star

Hello again,
I tried to open and convert a dummy file (in EBCDIC-format) once to ascii text also to an MySQL database based on the description of talend manual. The TOS version I used  for this sample is a TOS trial version for data integration (5.6.0). While those attemts I learnt that no copybook is a part of metadata to corresponde to EBCDIC file. I don't know why it's missing. Probably a license issue? Is copybook generally a part of TOS full licensed?
For configuration of "tExtractEBCDICFields" a copybook is necessary. How may I qualify my job for this step because of missing copybook?
Thank you for any clue.
Regards
Seventeen Stars

The copybook file is a file what the "source" must provide. It will be created in/for the same process which generates the EBCDIC file.
You need the copybook file to create the necessary metadata for the Talend component (xc2j file and the schema).
Unfortunately I do not know how to build the xc2j-file because I work usually with the enterprise edition of Talend and here we can use a wizard to build all necessary metadata.
Therefore please ask your partner which provides the EBCDIC file also to provide the copybook file.