One Star

How to import an existing Studio project onto TAC

Hi,
one of our users is wondering if it is possible to import an project created with Studio into Admin Centre server.
From what I've found out the only way is to create a project with the same name in TAC and then manually import job-by-job:

But the user believe this doesn't seem to make sense.
 What is the purpose of developing projects from within Studio if you cannot deploy to a server? Also within a project there are many interdependencies, so I do not understand the logic in deploying execution tasks on a job by job basis? 

Could someone correct me if there is a way to import the whole project at once? Maybe an enhancement request should be initiated?
Thanks,
Andrew
3 REPLIES
Seventeen Stars

Re: How to import an existing Studio project onto TAC

It is not fully clear for me what do you mean:
1. Jobs: Jobs must be exported and imported via the studio in the new environment. To do that it is highly recommended to create projects which has exactly the same name as in the source.
2. Task: This is a bit more tricky. 
2.1) Create in the target TAC job servers with the same name as in the source TAC (of course NOT with the same host + port)
2.1) I have transferred the task with dedicated Talend jobs. I prefer transferring only the task and not the binaries. As status I have set READY_TO_GENERATE_SCRIPT and build all task completely new in the new TAC to be sure everything works fine. Because the TAC sometimes build a job triggered by it self it is never a good idea to transfer also the binaries because you do not know if the jobs could be build without errors in the new environment.
Talend suggest to make a copy of the source database and use a script to fill the new target database, but this way the new environment replaces the old one and you have no fall-back option.

One Star

jlolling, thank you for your response.
I'll try to explain the question more clearly - the user created a Local project within Studio, not in TAC.
And now he wants to import this local project into TAC. It is possible to export the project from Studio to a zip archive but we can't find a way to import it (as a project enity) to TAC server.
Thanks,
Andrew
One Star

if you have a licensed version(not open studio or 30-day licence) of tac.. then connect your tac to SVN. So now your projects and metadata from studio will be stored in SVN. you have to create a project in TAC with the same name as in your project from local/offline studio. You can now import your local project  jobs by connecting to studio in online mode,After which you can switch between project using studio