How to compare two values in If-statement

Six Stars

How to compare two values in If-statement

Hi all, 

In the below job, I try to separate rows from a delimited (.csv) file, so that only the rows where "Project_Stadium_Nieuw" and "Project_Stadium_Gisteren" are different, will continue. 

Therefore I first use tFlowToIterate and subsequently put them again in Global Variables, including the Current Iteration number. And then I want to only let through the ones that have these different values. So I use this statement: 

(Boolean)(((String)globalMap.get("Project_Stadium_Nieuw"+((Integer)globalMap.get("tFlowToIterate_1_CURRENT_ITERATION")))) != ((String)globalMap.get("Project_Stadium_Gisteren"+((Integer)globalMap.get("tFlowToIterate_1_CURRENT_ITERATION")))))

But.. then everything goes through... While I deliberately put some differences in the input file. What am I doing wrong? Or should I set it up differently? 

Please, your advice and tips are more than welcome! Thanks in advance!

IfStatement.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Forteen Stars TRF
Forteen Stars

Re: How to compare two values in If-statement

Hi,
1st you don't need to compare tFlowToIterate_1_CURRENT_ITERATION with itself. So, you can eliminate this part.
2nd you can't use "!=" or "=" for String comparison. You need to use this syntax:
((String)globalMap.get("Project_Stadium_Nieuw")).equals((String)globalMap.get("Project_Stadium_Gisteren"))

Should works.
However, using a tFilterRow or a tMap with a filter expression would be better (no need to transform flow to global and reverse).

Hope this helps.

TRF

All Replies
Highlighted
Six Stars

Hello,

What is the main purpose of your job ?

I mean what is exactly your input and what do you want in your output ?

Forteen Stars TRF
Forteen Stars

Hi,
1st you don't need to compare tFlowToIterate_1_CURRENT_ITERATION with itself. So, you can eliminate this part.
2nd you can't use "!=" or "=" for String comparison. You need to use this syntax:
((String)globalMap.get("Project_Stadium_Nieuw")).equals((String)globalMap.get("Project_Stadium_Gisteren"))

Should works.
However, using a tFilterRow or a tMap with a filter expression would be better (no need to transform flow to global and reverse).

Hope this helps.

TRF
Six Stars

Thanks! I knew it should be something simple! changing the expression to .equals fixed it!

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Definitive Guide to Data Quality

Create systems and workflow to manage clean data ingestion and data transformation.