Five Stars

How to call the specific version of a routine

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to upgrade some function in a routine that's available in a shared trunk in Talend, say "routine 0.1" in trunk "shared_trunk".

I've exported then imported the routine in my personal workspace repository and upgraded the version, now I have "routine 0.2" in trunk "my_local_trunk".

When I compile a job using a new public method only present in "routine 0.2", I've some errors because the new method "doesn't exists".

How may I precise which routine to use in a job ?

Talend seems to automatically calling the one in "shared_trunk" (the older).

Any suggestion as to where I'm doing something wrong ?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions,

Ema

• Data Integration
4 REPLIES
Employee

Re: How to call the specific version of a routine

Are you using SVN?  Are you using Talend subscription with SVN?  Keep it simple, merge the routine.  Adding a new method won't break the old code as long as the method is independent of the other methods in there.  Remember methods in routine are static.

Five Stars

Hi !

Thank you for your answer.

Yes we're using SVN. I missed to detail that "shared_trunk" is only readable for me.

I'll have to ask another team for a deployment of my new routine version without having being able to test it.

Not really comfortable.

Anyway, I will give it another name to test it before deployment and after will have to modify again the jobs impacted by the new method.

Bye,

Employee

Not sure about the use case of different trunks. But I always recommend to have 1 trunk and do all development in the trunk. You will tag your project as you go. Hence at any point in time you can go back to a tagged version of the project.

You will build your jobs binaries from a tagged version. Hence your actual job binaries only change when you recompile the job. If you never recompile a job, and you have the binaries in Nexus, then you are safe. Nothing to worry about because each job binary is independent of each other?
Five Stars

Hi,

Thank you for your time in this matter.

I didn't have a choice about how many trunks we have to use.

Anyway, I followed your suggestion and created a specific new routine for my jobs that will be deployed with them.

Best regards,

Ema