How to add a variable to pass date parameters in tRESTClient component

One Star

How to add a variable to pass date parameters in tRESTClient component

Hi,
I am using Talend open studio for data integration 5.4 for my data integration needs. I am testing to get data from api service using tRESTclient component. For webservice parameters, I can pass static dates. But if I want to automate this job on daily basis, I want to use a variable which will get the today's date and can be passed as parameter to webservice. I am trying to figure out how can I use a variable to pass date parameters to tRESTClient component. Can anyone please help me?

Thanks,
Gowri
Community Manager

Re: How to add a variable to pass date parameters in tRESTClient component

Hi
You can specify the parameter in the Query parameters table, see my screenshot, I use the built-in function TalendDate.getCurrentDate() to the current date as the value of mydate parameter.
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Thanks Shong for the reply. This really works. I also a need to pass output of one the tRESTClient as a query parameter to next tRESTClient. How do you do that?
In my example, I make a call to get job id. Then I need to pass that job id to second tRESTClient as a query parameter. How can I replicate this one?
Thanks,
Gowri
Community Manager

Hi
tRestClient returs a document, link the response to a tXMLMap to extract the value you want from the document, and pass it to another tRestClient, the job design looks like:
tRestClient_1--Response-->tXMLMap---main(row1)---tFlowToIterate---tRestClient_2
on tRestClient_2, set the query parameter with the value such as (String)globalMap.get("row1.jobId")
Shong
One Star

Hi Shong,
I tried to create a workflow like you mentioned. I am not able to connect tFlowtoIterate - Iterate to tRestClient_2. I don't see tFlowToIterate - Main to connect to tRestClient.
Community Manager

Hi
It was a wrong job design, tRestClient don't accept an iterate link as input flow. The solution is to store the value returned by tRestClient_1 to a context variable or global variable for use later; In the next subjob, tRestClient use the context variable or global variable as the parameter value.
tRestClient_1--Response-->tXMLMap---main--tJavaRow
|
onsubjobok
|
tRestClient_2
on tJavaRow, store the value to a context variable, for example:
context.jobId=input_row.jobId;
Shong
One Star

Hi,
I have a PHP script which does HTTP post request to get data from external API service . I am trying to migrate that script to Talend using tRestClient to do a http post request with content type as JSON. Script has following callobject
$callobj = array(
'method' => $method_name,
'params' => array( 'partner_id' => $partner_id,
'tms' => $tms,
'sig' => $sig,
'date' => 'yyyy-mm-dd', // Only one date allowed per api call
'attribution' => 'conversion', // 'conversion' or 'click', determines whether to filter date by view/click or by conversion
'timezone' => 'UTC',
'fields' => array( 'site_id', 'type', 'name', 'conversion_datetime', 'action_type','client_user_id'),
)
);
In tRestClient component I have set up following based on above code snippet
I have given the url, HTTP Method - POST, Content Type -> JSON, Accept_type -> JSON
In query parameters
"method" - "method_name"
"params" -"partner_id=X$partner_id,tms=$tms,sig=$sig,date=yyyy-mm-dd,attribution=click,timezone=PST,fields=site_id,metrics=fbspend"
But it is not working. Is this kind of POST request supported in Talend? Is there way to pass this parameters? Can you please help me?
Thanks,
Gowri