One Star

How do I reuse an existing context group with a new DB connection?

We are using Talend Integration Suite - Professional Edition
Version: 3.2.1
Build id: r31371-20091021-1235
Is there a way to reuse an existing context group with a new database connection? I.e. If I have a database connection called Oracle with its corresponding context Group and I want a new connection called Oracle2. How can I use the same context for both connections?
Many thanks Dave
6 REPLIES
One Star

Re: How do I reuse an existing context group with a new DB connection?

Hi !
On your job context tab, clic (1) and then choose the context you want (2).
Bye
Kim
One Star

Hi
Thank you for the quick responce. What I want to do is reuse a database context group within the Meta Data section for a new connection. Hopefully the attached screen shots will make this clearer.
Many thanks Dave
One Star

Hi !
You can't do this way...
But you can drag your connexion on your new job (picture 1), or create a new connexion from toolbar component (picture 2) and then clic on "type de propriété" and "Referentiel" and choose your context.
Is it acceptable ?
Bye
Kim
One Star

Hi Kim
The problem I have is that we have two teams sharing the same reference project. One team called a database connection one name and used it in many jobs the other team called the same database connection a different name and used it in many jobs. So we have two different connections for the same database. Our context variables are read from a plain text file to suit our deployment solution. This files has two sets of connection entries both exactly the same. We now need to streamline the entries in this file by removing duplicates.
The one option is for all the jobs from one team to have all the connections removed and replaced with the chosen one. This is a lot of work and carries a risk of errors. The other way would be two keep the two connections but point them both at the same context group. This is the preferred option but I don't seem able to do it.
All the best Dave

Hi Dave,
you can for a start do a backup of both repositories.
then try on the one with least jobs rename the connection DB - it will rename the connection in all job
however, if you used the context as well you will have to change the context names too
open the repository and test this jobs - if happy then export the job (with dependencies) and import into the other one.
sorry for not having any better ideas but TOS is not meant as a team tool.
let us know if it works.

Nicolas

Thanks Guys,
I am able to share the DB connection with child sub jobs. I have written a small article with example to share the DB connection with child sub jobs.
http://vikramtakkar.blogspot.in/2013/03/sharing-database-connection-with-child.html
Thanks
Vikram Takkar
http://vikramtakkar.blogspot.in