One Star

Help connecting to a postgresql Database

I am brand new to Talend, and watched a youtube video on how to connect to an Amazon Redshift postgresql database using the metadata on Talend. When I press the "check connection" button, it says the connection was successful. When I go to retrieve the schema, it says the connection failed. When I go back to edit my connection, my database "string of connection" is changed. Any idea what's happening? Thanks
3 REPLIES

Re: Help connecting to a postgresql Database

Hi jmontgomery,

On which official version did you get that? Is there any error log which is located in <Talend Studio installation path>/workspace/.metadata/.log ?

Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

xdishi, I am running version 6.0. Here is the error log I am receiving when trying to retrieve the schema(note, when I initially set up the connection to the database, it says the connection is good, it is only after this does the connection not work anymore):
Connection failure, check the database settings or contact your database administrator.
  java.lang.RuntimeException: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The connection attempt failed.
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:164)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataUtils.connect(ExtractMetaDataUtils.java:1081)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.testConnection(ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.java:314)
      at org.talend.metadata.managment.repository.ManagerConnection.check(ManagerConnection.java:352)
      at org.talend.metadata.managment.repository.ManagerConnection.check(ManagerConnection.java:301)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.table.database.SelectorTableForm$8.run(SelectorTableForm.java:1100)
      at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:122)
  Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The connection attempt failed.
      at org.postgresql.Driver$ConnectThread.getResult(Driver.java:341)
      at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:264)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.DriverShim.connect(DriverShim.java:41)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:155)
      ... 6 more
  Caused by: java.net.UnknownHostException: :
      at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
      at org.postgresql.core.PGStream.<init>(PGStream.java:62)
      at org.postgresql.core.v3.ConnectionFactoryImpl.openConnectionImpl(ConnectionFactoryImpl.java:77)
      at org.postgresql.core.ConnectionFactory.openConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:66)
      at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Connection.<init>(AbstractJdbc2Connection.java:124)
      at org.postgresql.jdbc3.AbstractJdbc3Connection.<init>(AbstractJdbc3Connection.java:30)
      at org.postgresql.jdbc3.Jdbc3Connection.<init>(Jdbc3Connection.java:24)
      at org.postgresql.Driver.makeConnection(Driver.java:386)
      at org.postgresql.Driver.access$100(Driver.java:47)
      at org.postgresql.Driver$ConnectThread.run(Driver.java:301)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hi,
Does this issue repro on your another studio(5.6.x)? Can you connect to your postgresql DB successfully through client without using Talend tool now?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.