Five Stars

Help Explain "Type mismatch: cannot convert from String to List"

New to Talend. Edit schema from source shows Type as "List", destination as "List". Please explain message.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eleven Stars

Re: Help Explain "Type mismatch: cannot convert from String to List"

@TWOF,i have verified that List data type is not working in tNormalize,since i suggest you to convert list to sting to use tNormalize component. to covert sting you can use tConvertType or in tmap use toString().

Manohar B
9 REPLIES

Hello,

Which talend component are you using? What does your input source look like? More information will be helpful for us to address your issue.

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Five Stars

I have a tCassandraInput in which I have retrieved schema for column family "cfX". Edit schema -> Column "cY" Type is "List", DB Type "List". tCassandraInput connected to tNormalize with Row (Main). tNormalize Edit schema: Input-Main: Column "cY" Type is "List", DB Type "List"; Output: Column "cY" Type is "List". tNormalize has output Row (Main) to tFileOutputDelimited. Same settings there, "List" to "List". Error is shown on tNormalize.

I have encountered this before, and not really understood why "String" appears in the error message, or where to research or how to proceed.

Five Stars

bump

Five Stars

bump

Hello,

Could you please indicate on which talend build version you got this issue? We will make a testing on it.

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Eleven Stars

@TWOF,i belive you were getting this on tNormalize component. could you please let me know what exactly are you doing in tNormalize component?

Manohar B
Eleven Stars

@TWOF,i have verified that List data type is not working in tNormalize,since i suggest you to convert list to sting to use tNormalize component. to covert sting you can use tConvertType or in tmap use toString().

Manohar B
Five Stars

@xdshiwrote:

Hello,

Could you please indicate on which talend build version you got this issue? We will make a testing on it.

Best regards

Sabrina

Talend version 6.5

Five Stars

@manodwhbwrote:

@TWOF,i belive you were getting this on tNormalize component. could you please let me know what exactly are you doing in tNormalize component?

I was attempting to extract a nested / deep list from Cassandra into usable form (separate columns would be nice) which is difficult to parse due to lack of available delimiters, see below. This one column contains data, and lists within lists. Currently working with Talend support for a solution.

column_nested_data
[
    {
    number:1
    data1:NULL
    data2:NULL
    otherstuff:false
    a_set_of_data{'3,5'}
    another_set{4,6}
    a_nested_set{{5,7}
        type:a
        color:{'3':'6'}}