One Star

Getting the exception message of a subjob

Hi,
I have a job running another job with a tRunJob component and I would like to send an email when this job fails.
So I'm using a tSendMail with an OnSubjobError trigger.
I set the content of the mail to ((String)globalMap.get("tRunJob_1_ERROR_MESSAGE"))
but unfortunately, this retrieves only a generic message like: 'Child job running failed'
I would like to get the corresponding exception message:
Exception in ....
at ...
at ...
How can I do that ?
5 REPLIES
One Star

Re: Getting the exception message of a subjob

Hi,
What about the LogCatcher? There you could specify that Java exception should be catched. From there you can create a new flow like writing to a log or database as sending a mail, too.

Danny
One Star

Hi wizard, I still need some of your magic,
I've tried your solution but the LogCatcher returns something like this:
2009-04-21 12:21:47|WWS9MD|WWS9MD|WWS9MD|my_project|my_job|Default|6|Java Exception|tRunJob_1|Child job running failed|1
It contains an error message telling me that there was an exception, but it doesn't hold the exception message itself, I want to retrieve this:
Exception in component tJava_1
java.lang.ArithmeticException: / by zero
at my_project.test_0_1.test.tJava_1Process(test.java:159)
at my_project.test_0_1.test.runJobInTOS(test.java:301)
at my_project.test_0_1.test.runJob(test.java:229)
at my_project.my_job_0_1.my_job.tRunJob_1Process(my_job.java:1000)
at my_project.my_job_0_1.my_job.runJobInTOS(my_job.java:1462)
at my_project.my_job_0_1.my_job.main(my_job.java:1358)
Exception in component tRunJob_1
java.lang.RuntimeException: Child job running failed
Any idea ?
One Star

No Problem, I still have mana left ;-).
Let a JavaRow component be the target of the logCatcher with the following line of code:
System.out.println(globalMap.get(<input_row>.origin+"_CHILD_EXCEPTION_STACKTRACE"));
This should do the trick. The Stacktrace is saved in a the globalMap object. The key is a concatentation of the exceptionthrowing component an the final String upon.
One Star

Unfortunately, the option you are talking about seems to be available only in the milestone release of the TOS (http://www.talendforge.org/bugs/view.php?id=5409)
I'm using the latest stable release (3.0.4) and I cannot see the CHILD_EXCEPTION_STACKTRACE feature.
I really cannot use a milestone release in production...
Seventeen Stars

hi,
perhaps , if you have to use stable release , you can add variable in the code source like show
there
hope it help you
regards
laurent