One Star

Getting a random value from DB table/column

Hi all,
I am new to TOS and Java and I am trying to "extend" my tRowGenerator component to use a function defined in routines that would connect to a DB defined in Metadata and randomly get a value from a table/column. My "code" is below (no laughing, guys, be nice). This function would be defined for a column in the Map Editor of the tRowGenerator component.
I know that this way is not efficient at all because for each row created in tRowGenerator, a connection to the DB is created. opened, data read and then the connection is closed and destroyed. I would love to be able to persist the first connection and reuse it for the rest of the rows to be created by the tRowGenerator component.
I tried dropping a tOracleConnection linked to the tRowGenerator via OnComponentOK, but I could not get the connection passed to my function with (java.sql.Connection) globalMap.get("conn_" + "tOracleConnection_1") but I get a null pointer error, as if the connection object never gets created.
How can I get access to a connection object that points to the object that, I assume, must be created by dropping the tOracleConnection component? I was thinking that I could pass the connection object as a parameter to my function like this: (java.sql.Connection) globalMap.get("conn_" + "tOracleConnection_1").
Any ideas?
Many thanks
GD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
public static String getRandomDBValue(String tableName, String columnName) {
//java.sql.Connection DBConn,

String returnValue = null;
Statement lStatement = null;
ResultSet lRS = null;

String lSQLString = "select distinct " + columnName + " from (select distinct " + columnName + " from " +tableName + " order by dbms_random.value ) where rownum=1";

try {
java.lang.Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");
String url_tOracleConnection_1 = "jdbcSmiley Surprisedracle:thin:@" + "localhost" + ":" + "1521" + ":" + "XE";
String dbUser_tOracleConnection_1 = "user";
String dbPwd_tOracleConnection_1 = "pwd";
java.sql.Connection lConnection = null;

lConnection = java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(url_tOracleConnection_1, dbUser_tOracleConnection_1,dbPwd_tOracleConnection_1);
lStatement = lConnection.createStatement();
lRS = lStatement.executeQuery(lSQLString);

if(lRS.next()) {
returnValue = lRS.getString(1);
}
lRS.close();
lStatement.close();
lConnection.close();
return returnValue;
}
catch (Exception ee) {
return "Error connecting/executing statement/query at the DB ";
}
}
5 REPLIES
One Star

Re: Getting a random value from DB table/column

Hi,
I would guess that you "tRowGenerator-function" is called before the database connection is opened. Could you show your job design or try to connect the components with an onComponentOk - link.
Bye
Volker
One Star

Hi Volker,
Thank you for taking time to answer my plea for help.
I tried dropping an OracleConnection component and linked it to the tRowGenerator component via onComponentOk (see screenshot sc1 below). Assuming that the connection is created at runtime, I changed my custom function to below:
public static String getRandomDBValue_WIP(Object object,String tableName, String columnName) {
String returnValue = null;
Statement lStatement = null;
ResultSet lRS = null;

String lSQLString = "select distinct " + columnName + " from (select distinct " + columnName + " from " +tableName + " order by dbms_random.value ) where rownum=1";
Connection lConnection = (Connection) object;

try {
lStatement = lConnection.createStatement();
lRS = lStatement.executeQuery(lSQLString);

if(lRS.next()) {
returnValue = lRS.getString(1);
}
lRS.close();
lStatement.close();
lConnection.close();
return returnValue;
}
catch (Exception eee) {
return "no --- " + eee.toString();
}
}
I call this function as a parameter for the target column in the tRowGenerator Editor (see sc3):
my_custom_code.getRandomDBValue_WIP(globalMap.get("conn_" + "tOracleConnection_1"),"EVENT2", "CREATED_BY")
EVENT2 is the table I am targeting
CREATED_BY is the column that I want to randomly pick a value from and insert as value for my generated column
When I run this I get the error in sc2: java.sql.SQLException: Closed
I am thinking that the connection is never opened in the first place.
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance
Gallas
Six Stars

If you want to persist your hardwired connection avoiding an open each time, place the Connection object outside the method, as a static member in the class; then you can reuse it.
One Star

Emaxt6,
I would like to avoid using the hardwired connection altogether. I want to reuse the connection created by having an tOracleConnection component that is defined in the repository.
I was trying your solution by placing the connection object and code in a static function outside, but I still have to call it in my code in tRowGenerator for every row. I will have to check for connection existence and all of that.
Please note I am new to Java and just learning.
Many thanks
One Star

I think I may have found the source of my problem after looking at the result in tLogRow. The first row was correct in getting a random value from a table in the DB as I expected but subsequent rows (therefore calls to my custom function) would have the connection closed error.
I remove the lConnection.close() code and VOILA, now I get random values for my targeted column for all generated row.
It will be nice to have this kind of DB lookup capability added to the tRowGenerator component. I will try to make it a request