One Star

Fuzzy Match on lookup

Would it be possible to have an option on the join in tMap to specify a fuzzy match. Sometimes production data has standard date miss spelled like country. tFuzzyMatch seems to only check if two columns in the same record matches. It would be nice to have one file (or table) containing the correct spelling and then cleaning up the date in a tMap. Anybody else think something like this would be a nice to have?
Philip
4 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Fuzzy Match on lookup

Hi Philip
Can you report a new feature including detailed information and your suggestion, expected result in our bugtracker?
Thanks for your support!
Best regards
shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star rjs
One Star

I don?t know pdeetlefs problem, but I agree with him, it would be nice to have fuzzy match into tMap. For example, if we match tables A and B, we could get result C:
Table A: Table B: Result C:
ABX ABC|123 ABX|ABC|123
DEF DEF|456 DEF|DEF|456
JKL GHI|789
Regards,
RJS
Employee

I don't understand why some users wants the tMap to become even "richer" than it is currently :-/ Having a dedicated component makes job designs easier to read (and thus to maintain).
Anyway, this is just my personal opinion. In TOS, we are evolving in two ways : make tMap richer and having small dedicated task components (tFilterRow, tFilterColumns, future tJoin). So I think your feature request will be welcomed :-)
Employee

Hi,
You may use tFuzzyMatch component : it does exact or fuzzy matching. In case of non matching, the row is not rejected ( as with an outer join ) but the lookup value is empty and you can filter these rows with a tFilterRow component.
Best Regards