Field Seperator - Multiple Spaces

One Star tt1
One Star

Field Seperator - Multiple Spaces

Hi,

I have a record that has spaces as seperators, but unfortunately not just one space each time, any number of spaces.

Example

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Using " " as seperator does not work, so I either need a better seperator or to strip out any unrequired spaces before delimiting, the trouble here is that I still need a single space in order to delimit to stripping all spaces is no good.

Regards,
One Star

Re: Field Seperator - Multiple Spaces

Hi,
You can use just one space as a separator and check trim all columns in your tFileInputDelimited advanced settings.
Regards,
Youssef
One Star tt1
One Star

Youssef,

Thanks for the response. The number of spaces is random, so this will not quite work. I did think of doing several tmap with a StringHandling.EREPLACE(row1.newColumn," "," ") for each number of spaces, but doing this 6/7 times would not be ideal.

Example

1 2 3 4 5
1 2 3 4 5

Cheers,

John.
One Star

The number of spaces is random

Yes, but at least you have one space. so define just one space as a separator and trim your columns to remove useless spaces.
Regards,
Youssef
One Star tt1
One Star

Youssef,

If I use one space as a seperator I end with a new column every time I hit a space

so

1 2 3

becomes

1|2||3

and not

1|2| 3

I'll try to strip out the additional spaces before I delimit.

John.
One Star

Sorry, I didn't realize your problem.
You can use tFileInputRegex to retrieve your columns , in your case the regular expression would be like this: "(+)"+"+"+"(+)"
Here, I suppose that you have 2 columns.
Regards,
Youssef
Employee

In case Perl users are reading this topic, here comes a difference between Java and Perl. In Perl tFileInputDelimited, you can set the "Field Separator" to :
/ +/

(no quote)
One Star tt1
One Star

Thanks for your help guys,

In the end I decided to read the file as a one line column delimited by '\n', then using treplace I have set conditions to remove the various number of blank spaces possible and replace with a single space, then an extractdelimited using a single space as the delimiter.

Its now working.

As a product trial I am reworking a series of Ab Initio Graphs, so am probably going to post a few questions.

Thanks again.
One Star

Hi,
I have set conditions to remove the various number of blank spaces possible and replace with a single space

sounds complex. You can use (in java) the following code to change your spaces:
stringColumn.replaceAll(" +", " ");

The second parameter could be whatever you want (or need).
Bye
Volker
One Star tt1
One Star

Thanks Volker, I'll give it a go