Four Stars

Excel Date Import

Hello,

I'm trying to process an Excel file (2007) in Talend. This file has a few dates, and I don't understand how to manage them correctly. I use a rFileInputExcel. The dates included range from 1930 to 2060 (so both 20th and 21st century).

For example, a date is "31/03/2017" in Excel. When checking the cell in Excel, it's a date.

If I import it as a String, and try to display it later in a tLogRow, it's displayed as "31/03/17". This cause an issue since the century information is missing.

If I import it as a Date, with the format "dd/MM/yyyy", the display later in tLogRow is 03/07/0019 which is definitely not my 31/03/2017.

How could solve this issue ?

• Data Integration
5 REPLIES
Six Stars

Re: Excel Date Import

Hello

Rather than converting to date just pass it as is in string format. it should resolved your issue.

Thanks!

Four Stars

Hello. Thanks for your answer. However, when I import as a String, the information about the century is lost, while I need it for further processing Smiley Sad

Six Stars

Hello ,
Can you please share some examples with screenshot?
Thanks!
Four Stars

Sure. In attachment:

- excelData: the kind of data I have in excel. You can note that there is 31/01/2050 in the second column, first line, and 31/01/1950 in the first column, third line.

- excelImport: from the tInputExcel

- job: the talendJob used for the test

- outputData: the output of the logRow. Both 31/01/2050 and 31/01/1950 are converted in 1/31/50, so the information of the century is lost.

Six Stars

Hello

can you try to read the source data using Data viewer in talend? can you please share the screenshot for that too ?

Thanks!

Irshad