ESB: Extract email attachment with cProcessor and CAMEL code

Highlighted
Six Stars

ESB: Extract email attachment with cProcessor and CAMEL code

Hi there,

My scenario is the following:

Fetch email on POP3 every 10 seconds. If email, split into separate Message for every attachment. Save attachment locally.

I'm using the following recommendation from CAMEL: 

Consuming mails with attachment sample

In this sample we poll a mailbox and store all attachments from the mails as files. First, we define a route to poll the mailbox. As this sample is based on google mail, it uses the same route as shown in the SSL sample:

from("imaps://imap.gmail.com?username=YOUR_USERNAME@gmail.com&password=YOUR_PASSWORD" + "&delete=false&unseen=true&consumer.delay=60000").process(new MyMailProcessor());

Instead of logging the mail we use a processor where we can process the mail from java code:

public void process(Exchange exchange) throws Exception { // the API is a bit clunky so we need to loop Map<String, DataHandler> attachments = exchange.getIn().getAttachments(); if (attachments.size() > 0) { for (String name : attachments.keySet()) { DataHandler dh = attachments.get(name); // get the file name String filename = dh.getName(); // get the content and convert it to byte[] byte[] data = exchange.getContext().getTypeConverter() .convertTo(byte[].class, dh.getInputStream()); // write the data to a file FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(filename); out.write(data); out.flush(); out.close(); } } }

As you can see the API to handle attachments is a bit clunky but it's there so you can get the javax.activation.DataHandler so you can handle the attachments using standard API.

How to split a mail message with attachments

In this example we consume mail messages which may have a number of attachments. What we want to do is to use the Splitter EIP per individual attachment, to process the attachments separately. For example if the mail message has 5 attachments, we want the Splitter to process five messages, each having a single attachment. To do this we need to provide a custom Expression to the Splitter where we provide a List<Message> that contains the five messages with the single attachment.

The code is provided out of the box in Camel 2.10 onwards in the camel-mail component. The code is in the class: org.apache.camel.component.mail.SplitAttachmentsExpression, which you can find the source code here

In the Camel route you then need to use this Expression in the route as shown below:{snippet:id=e1|lang=java|url=camel/trunk/components/camel-mail/src/test/java/org/apache/camel/component/mail/MailSplitAttachmentsTest.java}If you use XML DSL then you need to declare a method call expression in the Splitter as shown below

xml<split> <method beanType="org.apache.camel.component.mail.SplitAttachmentsExpression"/> <to uri="mock:split"/> </split>

From Camel 2.16 onwards you can also split the attachments as byte[] to be stored as the message body. This is done by creating the expression with boolean true

SplitAttachmentsExpression split = SplitAttachmentsExpression(true);

And then use the expression with the splitter eip.

Putting the code in my cProcessor make my route unusable (Java Error). Does anyone already do this on his system? I don't want to make a job, really want a route.

Thanks for your help,

-Jacob

Accepted Solutions
Six Stars

Re: ESB: Extract email attachment with cProcessor and CAMEL code

Some times have passed since I've open the case. 

I've made a new route with same configuration and it works well.

Regards,

-Jacob

All Replies

Hello Jacob,

Could you please let us kow what's java error you are getting?

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Six Stars

Some times have passed since I've open the case. 

I've made a new route with same configuration and it works well.

Regards,

-Jacob

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

An API-First Approach to Modernizing Applications

Learn how to use an API-First Approach to Modernize your Applications

Watch Now

Talend API Designer – Technical Overview

Take a look at this technical overview video of Talend API Designer

Watch Now

Getting Started with APIs

Find out how to get started with APIs