Four Stars

Dynamic Type: Read CSV-File with Escape-Character

Hello,

i have a problem with the dynamic data type.

I want to read a .csv-file. The columns can change over time so i use a tFileInputDelimited with a single column from type "dynamic".

The csv is separated by ";". If a ";" occurs in the data then this is escaped with a backslash "\".

In tFileInputDelimited i can use "CSV options" to set escape-characters. This works fine as long as i import it static by naming every column. If a use a column with type "dynamic" to read the complete file it doesnt work.

Example Input Data in .csv-file:

...;85% Polyacryl\; 15% Wolle;...

The dynamicColumn (printed with a tLogRow) contains:

...- 85% Polyacryl\ -  15% Wolle -...

So i have two columns now with the values "85% Polyacryl\" and "15% Wolle" . It seems like the settings i use in tFileInputDelimited have no effect on the value in the dynamic column.

Am i doing something wrong or is this a known limitation for the dynamic data type? If so is there a way around it?

• Data Integration
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Seven Stars

Re: Dynamic Type: Read CSV-File with Escape-Character

if your source file is enclosed by double quotes, you need to configure it like this,

enclosd.PNG

if its not enclosed by double quotes, then you need to configure like this,

notEnclosed.PNG

I think most probably you must have mentioned '\" only once. "\" is generally used to mention a escape character. So in this case, you need to mention it twice.

2 REPLIES
Seven Stars

if your source file is enclosed by double quotes, you need to configure it like this,

enclosd.PNG

if its not enclosed by double quotes, then you need to configure like this,

notEnclosed.PNG

I think most probably you must have mentioned '\" only once. "\" is generally used to mention a escape character. So in this case, you need to mention it twice.

Four Stars

Hm, ok the second one works fine.

I'm not exactly sure what i was doing because that must be the most obvious solution and I even tried \\\ or \\\\.

Anyway, thank you for help Smiley Happy