Seven Stars

Documentation of Talend Development with SVN Integration

Is there any documentation for Talend integration with SVN.

How trunk,branch and tag concepts works in talend development realtime? 

Note:

I'm moving from Open Studio to Enterprise Edition . So I want to understand the basic working logic behind this..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Employee

Re: Documentation of Talend Development with SVN Integration

Hi,

You should follow the principles below:

- Always develop new features in trunk

- Developers will tag frequently (maybe daily) so that we can build snapshot binaries from the tags.  Developers can create tag from their studio

- If version x.y is in production, and we need to do patch, then we will create a branch from the tag x.y and fix the bug in that branch.

A tag is a readonly marker to say this whole project was at that state when we put a tag.  It is a good way to open previous version of the whole project.

So basically:

1) The project manager or release manager creates the new Talend Project in TAC

2) Users/Developers in TAC are assigned Read/Write rights by the Project Manager

3) Developers build their jobs in trunk

4) Developers can tag their whole project everyday.

5) Developers/CI build the job on the right server and push the binaries into Nexus.

6) If you need to hotfix a job, you create a branch from the tag (of the job in production) and you fix in the branch.  You need to reapply the patch in the trunk as well.  You will tag the branch build your hot fixed job from the branch.

Hope that helps.

3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Let me grab someone who can assist.

-N

Seven Stars

Thanks  @npiette .

I kind of want to document to know about real time utilization of these trunk,branch and tag options with talend.. 

Employee

Hi,

You should follow the principles below:

- Always develop new features in trunk

- Developers will tag frequently (maybe daily) so that we can build snapshot binaries from the tags.  Developers can create tag from their studio

- If version x.y is in production, and we need to do patch, then we will create a branch from the tag x.y and fix the bug in that branch.

A tag is a readonly marker to say this whole project was at that state when we put a tag.  It is a good way to open previous version of the whole project.

So basically:

1) The project manager or release manager creates the new Talend Project in TAC

2) Users/Developers in TAC are assigned Read/Write rights by the Project Manager

3) Developers build their jobs in trunk

4) Developers can tag their whole project everyday.

5) Developers/CI build the job on the right server and push the binaries into Nexus.

6) If you need to hotfix a job, you create a branch from the tag (of the job in production) and you fix in the branch.  You need to reapply the patch in the trunk as well.  You will tag the branch build your hot fixed job from the branch.

Hope that helps.