Five Stars

Difference between job,subjob,masterjob,independent job?

Hi,

I'm hearing these terminologies quite often but couldn't get a clear picture on the exact definitions.

can someone please explain the differences with some practical example/scenarios.

Thanks in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nine Stars

Re: Difference between job,subjob,masterjob,independent job?

job - a flow containing components.
subjob - it is still a job but is triggered from within a job, create them to make a more understandable workflow. This job probably get input/context variabeles.
independent job - runs just by itself, completely independent and have no relation to other jobs. They could contain subjobs. This job doesn't get input/context variables.
master job - The job which triggers other jobs (in this case subjobs) these triggered jobs could run independently or not. You could set context variables and pass them to the triggered subjobs.

Schedule your MasterJob and pass on the rundatetime, your MasterJob triggers the (sub)JobA with given rundatetime. In parallel it triggers (sub)JobB. JobA and JobB run independent.
JobA scrapes a weather website.
JobB runs a database query (newly added employees since yesterday)and output its data to a csv file .

Here you go hope it helps!
5 REPLIES
Nine Stars

job - a flow containing components.
subjob - it is still a job but is triggered from within a job, create them to make a more understandable workflow. This job probably get input/context variabeles.
independent job - runs just by itself, completely independent and have no relation to other jobs. They could contain subjobs. This job doesn't get input/context variables.
master job - The job which triggers other jobs (in this case subjobs) these triggered jobs could run independently or not. You could set context variables and pass them to the triggered subjobs.

Schedule your MasterJob and pass on the rundatetime, your MasterJob triggers the (sub)JobA with given rundatetime. In parallel it triggers (sub)JobB. JobA and JobB run independent.
JobA scrapes a weather website.
JobB runs a database query (newly added employees since yesterday)and output its data to a csv file .

Here you go hope it helps!
Ten Stars

To differentiate between a subjob and a job called by a master job, I usually refer to the latter as a child job.
Five Stars

@Dijke,

thanks for your response.

i got an idea on the basic difference.

just trying to understnad the concept as per examples...correct me if i am wrong.

Job: toracleinput-->tmap-->toracleoutput

subjob: 1) toracleinput1-->tmap2-->toracleoutput2 ------ this can be termed as subjob1----

2) toracleinput2-->tmap2-->toracleoutput2 ------ this can be termed as subjob2

master job: trunjob--> tmap--> toracleoutput

so here since trunjob actually referring to or calling some other job hence this will be called as master job and the job to which it is referring to will be subjob

independent job: per my understanding a job with no dependencies on other jobs and runs on its own with no links to other jobs is called as independent job. so basically a normal job and independent job are the same ..its just different naming convention.

Please correct me if i am wrong anywhere.

thanks in advance!!

Nine Stars

Yes. A sub/child-job always depend on something of its parent ancestor.
But while designing your job-flows keep it savvy and lean. Dont go nuts on breaking it down to much... avoid a long chain of jobs.

My strategy: A job for its purpose and maintenance shouldn't be overcomplicated and context driven.
Example1: Getting files (just clients) from a FTP and read them into a database, 2 jobs.
Example2: Getting files (clients and crontracts) from a FTP and read them into a database, 3 jobs (ftp and 2 processing files into db).

You are free to choose... you are the architect!
Five Stars

@Dijke

got it!!

thanks for your inputs and clarification.