Designing Unit Tests ETL Job

One Star

Designing Unit Tests ETL Job

Hello,

I do know what is the purpose of a unit test and I know how to write them, but I have trouble getting my head around the structure of Talend Test Jobs...

I need to test a tMap job that take a tMSSQLInput and return a tMSSQLOutput. So far nothing extraordinary.

I created a test case and I'm stuck on how to configure everything.

Do I need to mimic the data coming from a database using a tMSSQL I/O, if so do I need to create mock data ? If that's the case it seems painfully long...

I understand that I need to compare it to a reference file, do I have to use a csv file ? Do I have to also create that reference file ?

I know that in a unit test I give as input all the cases that my method covers, and checks what it returns, but in a tMap operation spanning across several databases with computation in between... That seems like a super tedious task, which is not the point of a unit test.

Anyway, an advice, or insightful words of wisdom are appreciated. Share your knowledge with me and I'll

Re: Designing Unit Tests ETL Job

Hello,

We are supposing that you have read this online document about:TalendHelpCenter: Designing tests.

Are you trying to use the Test Case feature which automatically creates a Test Case with a skeleton in a Test Instance?

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables

Blog

How Media Organizations Achieved Success with Data Integration

Learn how media organizations have achieved success with Data Integration

Read

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Download