Dates are all NULL in Hive Table.

Hi.  I am new to Talend and learning / evaluating with the Open Studio.  I have a single node Hortonworks cluster (not the sandbox, actual cluster) and running Talend to try to implement a real use cases that I have.  All I am trying to do is read a table from MS Sql Server and write most of the columns to a Hive ORC table.
Based on my research, I found this to be a multi-step process:
1. Read the MS DB.
2. Write a text file to HDFS
3. Load the text file to a Hive text table.
4. Copy the Hive text file to an ORC table.
I have set up my Talend job to do those things.
After step 2, my text file contains exactly what I need.  I am using a semicolon delimited file and all of my data is there.
However, when I use the tHiveLoad component to load the text file into Hive, ALL of my date columns are now NULL.
I researched this online and found that according to this site (), Hive won't automatically convert between Date and Timestamp.
However, when I try to create my schema, the only option I have is Timestamp.  I am using the DB mapping of Hive for my Schema. The Hive date type is not there (see screen shot attached).  So, how do I get my dates into my Hive text table?

Thanks!
Tom
1 REPLY

Re: Dates are all NULL in Hive Table.

Hi,
Can you upload again the screenshots you wanted to show, please? For some reason it didn't make it to your post.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.