Six Stars

Data Archiving and Compression

Hello

I am new to talend and will like to know if there is a data compression tool that works well with talend

i want to be able to compress my archived data

thanks

Buks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Employee

Re: Data Archiving and Compression

The best approach here is to have your OS or database natively compress the data.   You can also look at enabling compression through the OS for the datafiles on disk, but know that this will slow down your data read/write to that database.

7 REPLIES

Hello,

Here is a tFileArchivecomponent. This component creates a new zip, gzip, or tar.gz archive file from one or more specified files or folders, and the archive file can be compressed using different compression method.

In addition, you can use tSystem component to call other processing commands(winRaR, 7 zip).

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Six Stars

Thank You Sabrina

I want to have the compressed data in a live database, would this be possible

regards

Buks

Hi Buks,

Could you please give us more information about your job requirement? How do you have the compressed data in a live database?

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Six Stars

Hi Sabrina,

I have a Big data appliance and i want to archive the data on it to a commodity storage,  i want the archived data to sit on a Live database hosted in a commodity storage,  the applications will also connect to the archived data occasionally (reason why the archived data needs to be in a live database)

the plan is to reduce storage costs by compressing data on the commodity storage,

how can i compress data in the commodity storage.

I have an option to use Oracle Advanced compression but there is no budget for that , is there another solution available - the database is Oracle database

regards

Buks

Employee

The best approach here is to have your OS or database natively compress the data.   You can also look at enabling compression through the OS for the datafiles on disk, but know that this will slow down your data read/write to that database.

Six Stars

Thank you ,

i will look into this keenly

regards

Buks

Four Stars

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. It really helped me as well.

Regards

http://lifesaveressays.com/